Murder trial on Channel 4, Good or Bad

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
On Tuesday is a televised murder trial from a Scottish court, part of me thinks that might be interesting viewing, I've only been to court once when a friend was being accused of breaking into Asda and stealing a packet of buttons and a mandarin cream gateaux, yet another part of me thinks am I just being a bit sick and voyeuristic by considering watching it? I can see going to such a trial useful for law students but is it suitable for the general public and on TV?

Alison

Remembering the legal system is substantially different in Scotland, I would argue the UK has a great legal system. The people generally don't know much about it though!

Televising things is usually a forward step in public understanding.

Oh yea its peachy we can accommodate someone for 8 years who is a terrorist and if you kill a cyclists with your car the worst you get is a mickey mouse custodial and a small fine. Oh and if you kill a kid you get anonymity and a new life when you get out.

Fair points.

Abu Qatada would not have been on bail had the UK Government had anything particularly strong to pin on him. Not really a failure of our legal system, more of intelligence.

I agree wholeheartedly sentencing is far too lenient for some offences, but rather that than the hand chopping zeal some systems of law favour. Sentencing is only one part of the legal system.

The Bulger killers were released on life license after eight odd years in custody. They were technically kids when they were detained, but were given an adult trial. You would find it hard to find a similar system to ours that would not have released them at some point, in many cases sooner.

Agreed but then if you look at the sentencing in the us where they give life without parole but here the average life sentence is between 13 and 21 years some even getting less than 10 and thats for murder. We don't need the stoning to death policy but there are organisations everywhere geared up to help offenders but nothing not even the cps to help the victims. I think the British justice system is so out of phase with itself there isn't a common standard for sentencing

I really wouldn't hold the US system up as a shining light.

There are people in prison there for parking fines.

They put to death people of low IQ.

I am not saying our system is not flawed, but show me a better one?

Could be good; though barristers and beaks, despite now having a bigger stage on which to shine, don't necessarily know what makes for good telly, so it will need to be jollied up a bit. Boring evidence will have to be suppressed, juicy titbits introduced if the trial starts to flag, and maybe a "Come Dine with Me" type commentary?
Sid Waddell would have loved it!

Back