Eddy Merckx Strada(?) - Info appreciated

ams_1910

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on my Eddy Merckx. I'm not too clued up on this sort of thing so I'd appreciate any info to bring me up to speed on some of its basic history.

I was informed by the seller that it has all it's original components but I'm not sure that's true.
Serial No is - H8M B280

I've haven't found many in the same colourway other than this one dating from 1986 - http://goo.gl/SXAqD

I haven't seen any in that particular colour way with the italicised font. Most seem to use the bubble font instead.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what I should do to get it back to get it looking tip-top would be great.

Thanks!

Adam.

Greetings

Have a look at the catalog scan on this site (link below.) The Strada was a mid range bike (entry level for Merckx) and was sold as a complete bike or frame set. Date of catalog is not clear but the Strada in the pic has Victory group so mid to late eighties? Note the second generation C-Record group on the Criterium bike also pictured here. Page 2 of this catalog shows the paint department finishing a few frames in a very similar color scheme to your frame.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 1.jpg.html

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 1,139
Thanks so much. Reassuring to see a Strada model with the italicised logo mark. I was beginning think that a previous owner had applied the wrong decals.

lewisfoto":37qd6c8h said:
Greetings

Have a look at the catalog scan on this site (link below.) The Strada was a mid range bike (entry level for Merckx) and was sold as a complete bike or frame set. Date of catalog is not clear but the Strada in the pic has Victory group so mid to late eighties? Note the second generation C-Record group on the Criterium bike also pictured here. Page 2 of this catalog shows the paint department finishing a few frames in a very similar color scheme to your frame.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 1.jpg.html

these bikes are gorgeous in comparison to the stealth bomber look these companies are pumping out by the ton today....i feel sorry for those folk who have just got into cycling to see the revolting looking bikes they are being offered and for such horrendous prices too!

:x

there's just NO comparison to the hand produced works of art from yesteryear...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=237378

Yep defo Hitatchi team colours, groupset is suntour GPX so this would more than likely have been sold as a frameset. I dont think Merckx strada were ever supplied with anything other thank campagnolo. However suntour GPX was an excellent groupset. Indexing was great and the brakes were super smooth...

I have seen plenty of Merckx Strada frames with Shimano groupsets, so I don't see why a Suntour groupset couldn't have been on there. I believe the guys from Hitachi actually raced with Mavic parts.

SWijland":2vvlupvm said:
I have seen plenty of Merckx Strada frames with Shimano groupsets, so I don't see why a Suntour groupset couldn't have been on there. I believe the guys from Hitachi actually raced with Mavic parts.

I'm not disputing anything you have said but what I'm saying is that it may not have come from the Merckx factory with a suntour group set on it.

I am pretty sure you could order them exactly the way you wanted, even from the factory. A fair amount of people who I bought Merckx bikes from, ordered them directly from the factory, so I suppose a Suntour groupset would have been possible too.

Back