026.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 976
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 976
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 976
Can anyone tell me the seatpost size? To clarify it's for an 88/89 u-brake model in case they changed size at any point.

It'll be 27.2mm...My '88 Pioneer was.
Some of the earlier FellRider and Peakfinders had some 501 tubing, so they might be 26.8mm.

I don't think Andy built with anything lower down the scale than 531 otherwise, and things hadn't gone oversized yet.

All the best,

danson67":3jr1pyew said:
It'll be 27.2mm...My '88 Pioneer was.
Some of the earlier FellRider and Peakfinders had some 501 tubing, so they might be 26.8mm.

I don't think Andy built with anything lower down the scale than 531 otherwise, and things hadn't gone oversized yet.

All the best,

Thanks for that :) I also just found this thread which says 26.8mm :? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89004

My black one pictured above, is 27.00. but a 90s model bike.

The yellow and blue 88/89 pictured above came with a 26.8 which sadly was the wrong size, the correct size being 27.0.

I hope this is of some help.

:cool:

Hmmmmmm........so 26.8, 27.0 and 27.2 have all cropped up. Guess I just need to buy some verniers and see what fits :D

Weird, as all the late 80s Reynolds ATB seat tubes, including Magnum, are 1.0/0.7, giving a 27.2mm internal on a 28.6mm OD tube.
Reynolds-tubing-sizes_zps28abbc4b.jpg

Possible cause?:
My 86' Pioneer cracked through at the ST/TT joint where it had distorted from the fillet and had been reamed out fully to 27.2, leaving very little thickness of metal. The later frames had the reinforcing sleeve/lug at this joint, allowing the tube to be reamed properly. I think it might depend on which model of reinforcing sleeve was used. Some have the parent tube running fully through, probably running 27.2mm. Others have a straight shoulder inside about 10mm up from the bottom edge, the rest of the internal bore is from the lug not the tube, so it's the outer sleeve/lug that dictates the seatpost diameter, not the tube itself, probably 27.0 or 26.8mm.

Looking at this small selection we have between us, I also suspect Andy built the frames with whatever came to hand...or perhaps sometimes didn't ream the distortion fully out, and sometimes didn't put a sleeve on at all (the-duke's).

All the best,

I don't really want to clog up this thread talking about seatposts but I guess it could be useful to others. By a process of elimination it appears to be 26.8. I have a 27.2 which doesn't come close. A 27.0 goes in but not far. A 26.6 rattles about and the post that was fitted to the bike is snug although the size is not visible.

The problem I am having is that it goes in a little way then starts to get harder ( :shock: :LOL: ). Looking down the tube and it has a lot of crap and general dirt down there which is stuck to the sides and I can't remove it by hand. Any tips?

Back