StumpJumper M2 raw?

StuPot

Dirt Disciple
I've searched google a few times but can't find an answer...

What would a m2 Stumpy look like without paint?

I guess it would look like a somewhat anonymous aluminum bike...

Here is a thread from a couple of years ago, may not be an M2 but at least you can see what a similar Specialized aluminum bike looks like without paint:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=119097

Are you sure? I thought M2's had ceramics and all sorts thrown in? Different metals for different tubes?

The whole Metal Matrix bit was just marketing hype from Specialized, in the end it is just an aluminum bike. Not that that is bad, I bought a Stumpjumper M2 new in 1998 and rode it for 15 years till it finally broke.

Can anyone confirm this before I start sanding the paint off? I'd love it in polished alloy if possible.

The matrix does have ceramic particles in the alloy, to stiffen it. It'll still polish up. The welds will not have the ceramic and the weld process causes the ceramics to run away from the weld. So, it'll polish, the welds may look slightly different.

As for how it'd look, well there's nothing wrong with a polished bike but as has been said very generic.

How about polishing a section middle of down/seat/top tube where decals would go.

Back