Retro 29ers/700c MTBs?

Joe of Loath

Old School Hero
So I've come to the conclusion that I'm just too damn tall for my XXL 26" bike. With the saddle high enough I have a crazy amount of drop from the saddle to the bars, and it gives me back ache, not to mention being really ungainly on the descents.

What choices do I have for retro-ish MTBs which take 700c wheels? I've heard of the Bianchi Project series, but they seem to be pretty rare. Maybe there are some hybrid type frames which I could convert? I just want something with bigger wheels, the geometry is so much more sensible in massive sizes.

Also, I don't mind gas pipe steel. My road bike is made of gas pipe (all 11kg of it, and that's with only one gear!) and I love the way it rides.

Thanks!

Very nice, but they're custom I see? Not really wallet friendly, if I could afford to have one built I would have already ;)

Tough to find a true retro 29er but take a look at the singular peregrine set up with flat bars. I know that this is a new bike but it has a retro look. You end up with a lugged 29er with disc brakes and a classic mountain bike look for a lot less than custom. For a semi custom retro looking 29er the Rivendell Hunqapillar with their bullmoose bars makes a sharp looking bike. although the larger sizes have the "diagatube" which some find odd.

P1050091.jpg

Marin did a few 29er urban/hybrid bikes. Can't remember their name but they pop up quite often and are pretty cheap.

Specialized Crossroads too, but I can't remember seeing many of the 700c models in a big frame size (else I would have been tempted). I'm sure they are out there though.

Back