Square Taper BB's

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Afternoon all - at the tail end of a full restoration and have hit an unforeseen snag. The BB has lateral play in it now that i've cleaned, greased etc. This isn't a minimal amount of play, it's a good few mm in both directions through the cups. My question is - is it the plastic sleeve that is supposed to hold it all tight once the cups have been installed?

It's a Nuovo Record BB with loose bearings if that helps. There wasn't any play before the BB was removed, so it's definitely my "handy-work" that's the issue! :facepalm:

cheers for any advice....

The plastic sleeve is just there to keep dirt out of the bottom bracket assembly.

My first though was that you used the wrong spindle, but if this is the same bottom bracket you removed then it must be some other problem. Double check that the adjustment cup, left side, is threaded in until it is snug but not tight. Another possibility is that some of the bearings may have slipped when you installed the spindle.

lewisfoto":9s19i957 said:
The plastic sleeve is just there to keep dirt out of the bottom bracket assembly.

My first though was that you used the wrong spindle, but if this is the same bottom bracket you removed then it must be some other problem. Double check that the adjustment cup, left side, is threaded in until it is snug but not tight. Another possibility is that some of the bearings may have slipped when you installed the spindle.

I've checked that all threads are tight, no gaps to bb faces so I'm going to assume that the bearings have slipped - back to the toolbox to take it apart again...

Thanks for the input....i'll report back if I get success on the next attempt - I can see why sealed type BB's came in :)

Hi

Either buy some caged balls (ooh err missis) or be prepared to do some swinging of the frame about......

Fixed cup down, feed in balls. swing fame so fixed cup is in the air with the balls held in by pulling the axle upwards. put other cup over axle, feed the balls in and gravity will keep those balls in place. then keeping fixed cup upright and holding axle against fixed cup screw in the other cup from the bottom.....

We did it with just a bit of WD40 for lubrication :)

Caged balls were a godsend :)

Shaun

Quick check here..
- Fitted fixed cup side in.
- Axle and bearings and adjustable cup fitted.
- Adjusted this adjustable cup until just no play and bearing not being crushed. Often takes a bit of adjustment and work.
-tightened up lockring, keeping adjustable cup in place.
- test cup hasn't slackened/ tightened, undo lockring-adjust cup as needed etc..

And that you didn't just fit both cups hoping the lockring is in the correct place.

What an absolute palava - not sure how you kept your sanity BITD if this was part of the day job! Lashings of grease was my solution to hold the balls in place (ooh er again) - brand new paint and poxy bloody grease all over it. Caged bearings seem the way forward - however, i'm keeping this as true to the original apart from the name on the frame, colour, virtually every other component :) my impatience has got the better of me and I need to get this on the road as this barmy weather is custom made for 6 speeds and some serious cadence.

One other point - these 70's components - not brilliant to work on - the double bolts on the Nuovo Record seatpost - how inaccessible! However, this 70's stuff is beautifully made so i'll give credit on that score.

Lockring has been on as a token gesture to test - that's when I realised how much play there was. It was a couple of bearings sitting between the cup and the plastic sleeve. I'm fine tuning the adjustable cup and i'm close to having this palava ticked as done :)

The seat post has a special spanner with all the bends in the right places............cost an arm and a leg to buy trade. People used to come and borrow it to use outside the shop front door LOL.

Back later :)

Shaun

:shock: This is bizarre - I got an extremely cheap spanner with a piece of scratch your head and guess how it goes together furniture - I bent it so it had bends in all the right places!! that has freaked me out somewhat :shock:

Midlife":2gkovqwk said:
The seat post has a special spanner with all the bends in the right places............cost an arm and a leg to buy trade. People used to come and borrow it to use outside the shop front door LOL.

Back later :)

Shaun

An 8mm double ended ring key/open spanner from Halfords has a bend in it that make Campag seat posts childs play using the ring end. I have a proper Campag spanner but the ring key one is easier to use.

Regarding the BB, the adjustable cup should screw in until there is just enough thread for the locknut to screw on. If there's more then your balls have slipped :eek: I use plenty of grease to hold my balls............................ :roll:

And I don't experience any slippage ;)

Or the plastic sleeve may have moved and jammed against the edge of the cup stopping it from screwing in fully. It should just fit into the open end of the cups.

Latest posts

Back