Warning to Strava users

RobMac

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Posh Bikes and Tea Leaves...

Staffordshire Police have been noting an increase in bike thefts in their area, particularly in the number of high-value cycles being stolen from sheds and outbuildings across the south of the county.

Their comments come in a document available from the Online Watch Link website and it says that:

"Our investigations have shown that some of the victims had been using websites and mobile phone apps to log their routes - these sites allow users to view each others' routes and track their rides.

"Some of the GPS data recorded and shared on these sites is so accurate you can pinpoint the house where the journeys have begun and ended. We suspect some thieves have been using these sites to identify potential victims and high-value bikes.

"Many of the sites also link to social networking sites to share routes. Users are urged to check the privacy settings of any apps they use and avoid using Twitter and Facebook to share maps of their routes, as these could potentially identify their home addresses and inadvertently 'advertise' the location of their bike to thieves.

"Alternatively, they can opt to start the tracking function a few streets away from their home address and stop it again before returning home.

You have been warned...

Already have privacy zones setup around mine, my mums and mates houses.
Common sense really and not any different from posting up your pride and joy on here.
Plus another reason not to use Facebook!
I'd be more worried about using a car mounted bike rack, anyone could see you driving and follow you home. This has already be suspected in other areas.

To be honest, they'll find you anyway and having to FAFF takes enjoyment and ease out of it.
They only have to see you, track you on large wonder around the area a bit.

Bike got stolen just as much BitD as they do now.

I do use privacy zones, don't really help much as it's easy to figure out the house after a bit.
I don't have random friends on strava and the others so set advanced privacy so only they can see.
Similar with Google+/Facebook share to particular friends only.

As for bike racks, sod that far to much hassle to take it on and off.

FluffyChicken":17ho0wpr said:
As for bike racks, sod that far to much hassle to take it on and off.

I agree, but I meant more of they see you with nice bike on the roof and track you, rather than when it's empty. Easy for criminals to get an address from a reg number.

Also any connection to an insurance company. All information pulled for Police/Dvla use plus hpi checks etc.
I'm not saying an opportunistic bike thief would have access, but for organised gangs it's just as plausible as tracking via a website like Strava.

clubby":fulct84s said:
Also any connection to an insurance company. All information pulled for Police/Dvla use plus hpi checks etc.
I'm not saying an opportunistic bike thief would have access, but for organised gangs it's just as plausible as tracking via a website like Strava.

Maybe I need to expand my contacts. :LOL:

Back