Campagnolo 50th group

A well known bicycle mechanic and builder here in SoCal is re-manufacturing certain rare bits for his Campagnolo equipped bikes. He told me that including his labor it costs about twice as much to produce a piece than it would be worth on the open market. So I say no it can not be profitable to manufacture 50th anniversary dust caps.

lewisfoto":z79fqta7 said:
A well known bicycle mechanic and builder here in SoCal is re-manufacturing certain rare bits for his Campagnolo equipped bikes. He told me that including his labor it costs about twice as much to produce a piece than it would be worth on the open market. So I say no it can not be profitable to manufacture 50th anniversary dust caps.
That is what I figured but on his feedback he has shifted a few sets but no other 50th items and the buyers seem happy.

Wouldn't like to feel the wrath of Campagnolo's legal team if they got their teeth into some hooky production run of parts being done without licence. It does prove that certain pieces of the group must be particularly scarce.

Montello said:
I bought a bike with a part 50th group and have bought other bits off eBay to complete the group (almost).

I have become a bit of a "spotter" on the subject and put this page up:

http://www.lejog4amr.co.uk/pinarello/ca ... pset.shtml

What surprises me is the variance of the same item over different sales and the odd very high price.

I have managed to collect almost a second group as well as the one I have on the bike I ride ... I have done that through jumbles and striking deals with people through eBay and buying odd bits in the hope that I can one day find the other bits to complete ....

A good used group lose is worth £1500 if it is 100% complete that is comes with HS, BB, Dust Cap tool, all the gold caps etc ... anything missing and you start knocking off £££s. No way could you assemble a group for £700 unless you can find someone who does not know what they are selling or if the components are in very poor condition.

NOS groups in the box I have seen go from £2200 to £3200 ... quite why there is such a range I guess depends on who is bidding at the time.[/quote

With patience and sensible buying you can put a groupset together for £700, as I've done it, all parts where used but in good condition. It took nearly 2 years and lots of searching. Most parts will polish up fine but be careful with the aluminium parts that if well used will suffer with corrosion, also the steel bolts on such parts as brakes once rusted will cost a fortune to replace if you can find original parts. Things like brake blocks, cables, and lever hoods can be sourced at reasonable prices so just look for good components

ColnagoC59":2d2cw75q said:
With patience and sensible buying you can put a groupset together for £700 ... It took nearly 2 years and lots of searching.

Good for you, was that recently?

Where were your best finds? eBay seems expensive and I have had limited results at jumbles as everyone knows what they are selling and price accordingly.

The only way I can see hitting your budget is if you can find sellers who are unaware of the value of what they are selling. Where do you find these sellers?

Montello":bircoa7v said:
ColnagoC59":bircoa7v said:
With patience and sensible buying you can put a groupset together for £700 ... It took nearly 2 years and lots of searching.

Good for you, was that recently?

Where were your best finds? eBay seems expensive and I have had limited results at jumbles as everyone knows what they are selling and price accordingly.

The only way I can see hitting your budget is if you can find sellers who are unaware of the value of what they are selling. Where do you find these sellers?

Early last year I managed to get the groupset complete, it took nearly 2 years. Bought some things off ebay, and got lucky, things like gear levers don’t go for silly money. Other more expensive parts such a chainsets etc I bought through bike shops, bike fare’s and jumble events. All parts where used with some marks, and some needed a good polish & overhaul. Checked my final spend and it was £749.38, less any postage. I have since changed things like jockey wheels and bought new brake hoods and cables, but all still done within a reasonable cost. I’ve done OK at bike jumble events, even picked up a NOS Campag Electra Saddle (Ti rails) for £150, when on ebay people are asking £500+. It dose take up valuable training time !!

Nice one, did you manage to find a dust cap tool?

BTW I messaged that guy on eBay about those crank caps and he said they were repros ...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back