Campagnolo 50th group

FINNEY1973":3ejbmh5m said:
Would like to tap into peoples experience of putting one of these groups together from a money point of view. How much (realistically) is one going to cost to assemble from ebay etc etc. Can't afford to buy one of the pristine still in a box 2 grand jobs, but just nice condition individual components as & when they come up at not stupid prices.

Are we talking £700 / £1500 / more / somewhere inbetween? I appreciate that it can be a money no object scenario given some of the BIN prices but i've seen a few bits going for fair prices recently as people perhaps sell stuff as the 80th group garners it's own publicity...

cheers for any input on this one....

Spend as much as you can as if the parts have been well used certain items are susceptible to corrosion and restoring or replacing with NOS small parts will cost us a fortune. A good or mint groupset is always going to increase in price as more collectors want them but want best condition. Other thing it take your time if you are going to buy individual items rather than just impulse buying, may take you some time but you’ll get a good mint groupset for some £700 + (less box and certificates)

I bought a bike with a part 50th group and have bought other bits off eBay to complete the group (almost).

I have become a bit of a "spotter" on the subject and put this page up:

http://www.lejog4amr.co.uk/pinarello/ca ... pset.shtml

What surprises me is the variance of the same item over different sales and the odd very high price.

I have managed to collect almost a second group as well as the one I have on the bike I ride ... I have done that through jumbles and striking deals with people through eBay and buying odd bits in the hope that I can one day find the other bits to complete ....

A good used group lose is worth £1500 if it is 100% complete that is comes with HS, BB, Dust Cap tool, all the gold caps etc ... anything missing and you start knocking off £££s. No way could you assemble a group for £700 unless you can find someone who does not know what they are selling or if the components are in very poor condition.

NOS groups in the box I have seen go from £2200 to £3200 ... quite why there is such a range I guess depends on who is bidding at the time.

Ian Raleigh":tfjc5zwe said:
Watched a NOS 50th chainset go for £500 on ebay! But thats ebay for you...full of shill-bidders to hike the price.

That was highly iffy; I doubt the seller ever got paid that ...

ColnagoC59 - will certainly be taking my time - I have the sum total of 1 x rear mech thus far at < £50 :) . It's in pretty good nick, needs a clean & polish. Certainly not in any rush, simply a case of buying when I see something at decent value. Cheers for the pointer on corroded parts - will do my homework and ask some questions of the seller.

Montello - decent web page that. I'm probably in a minority in that i'm not wanting the groupset as/for a financial investment, although by default I will be investing in something that will likely accrue value. I just like the group and want to use it, I don't do wall-hangers. Be a long drawn out thread as the pace i'll be buying won't be quick, but I reckon (from what i've seen sold so far) I can do an almost full groupset for about £800 - this doesn't include BB or HS nor the tools or packaging and not what you'd call NOS - used but good condition is my plan.

Think more bike jumbles are the order of the day - too much BIN at daft money on ebay for my taste.

FINNEY1973":3sy538rs said:
too much BIN at daft money on ebay for my taste.

I ride my bike with 50th every week, some think it should not be ridden but I don't see it creating much wear as I pick my weather.

I'm collecting another for another project. I have uncovered some bargains.

I don't buy for investment but it helps justify the cost if I know stuff wont depreciate. Unlike my modern kit.

Lots of the eBayers are somewhat hopeful with their listings and having been watching for some time many items get listed over and over again.

The only prices worth noting are the auction final prices not the bin ones.

The cheapest way is to buy a bike with a group and break it down if the frame isn't what you want.

Montello":3p7icjce said:
FINNEY1973":3p7icjce said:
too much BIN at daft money on ebay for my taste.

I ride my bike with 50th every week, some think it should not be ridden but I don't see it creating much wear as I pick my weather.

I'm collecting another for another project. I have uncovered some bargains.

I don't buy for investment but it helps justify the cost if I know stuff wont depreciate. Unlike my modern kit.

Lots of the eBayers are somewhat hopeful with their listings and having been watching for some time many items get listed over and over again.

The only prices worth noting are the auction final prices not the bin ones.

The cheapest way is to buy a bike with a group and break it down if the frame isn't what you want.

Agreed - buying a bike does seem to provide the best VFM, big cash outlay though and I've got more important priorities - i'm looking at 12 months or so to purchase as much as I can.
Glad to hear you use your's - it's a bit disheartening to see these parts not being used although I wouldn't like to be in the position of being in possession of mint NOS group and then knowing you'd be devaluing it just by installing it on a frame, never mind riding the stuff!

You've made a very salient point there on final auction prices & not the BIN ones - i'll re-trawl the completed listings on ebay to see what things went for. The mech I bought was £150 BIN, seller was obviously skint and I got for what I consider to be decent value - here's hoping for more of the same :)

FINNEY1973":n943k81s said:
- it's a bit disheartening to see these parts not being used although I wouldn't like to be in the position of being in possession of mint NOS group and then knowing you'd be devaluing it just by installing it on a frame, never mind riding it

I think the NOS sets are just changing hands between collectors. You'd need some serious wedge to buy and ride a nos set, that first ride would cost over £1500 :shock:

Montello":169qxo9a said:
FINNEY1973":169qxo9a said:
- it's a bit disheartening to see these parts not being used although I wouldn't like to be in the position of being in possession of mint NOS group and then knowing you'd be devaluing it just by installing it on a frame, never mind riding it

I think the NOS sets are just changing hands between collectors. You'd need some serious wedge to buy and ride a nos set, that first ride would cost over £1500 :shock:

And that dear Sir is precisely why I want to avoid falling into the bearpit that is NOS 50th Groupset! The collectors are welcome to it....

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
lewisfoto":1xl2bw5l said:
This seller in South Africa with a seemingly endless supply of 50th anniversary crank dust caps is a bit suspicious. Although I imagine that manufacturing these would cost about the $120 he charges.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dust-caps-for-C ... 7675.l2557

Steven
I'd noticed that guy, I can't decide if these are fakes. Hard to tell.

Would it really be profitable?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back