1990 GT Avalanche

Mr.Toad

Senior Retro Guru
I've never ridden a GT but I have a chance to snag one for a decent price.

What's the general consensus. Do they ride nice? Build quality? Chick magnets?

Cheers.

Terrible! Post it to me and I'll save you having to go through the trauma of riding it.

You can keep the lovely saddle though.

I've not ridden an Avalanche, but I've loved all the other early 90s steel GT frames I've ridden.

Looks in very good condition as far as I can tell from that picture - was the purple the alternative paint scheme for 1990?

I had one of these in the white colourway BITD......really nice to ride and a lot more forgiving than a Zaskar ...but almost as responsive.

Been looking for one of those on and off for a while now. Pretty rare in that colour too...

Out of interest what kind of price is it ?

edit...is it me or do those crank arms look hugely long :D . Also agree about the saddle ...that'll weigh as much as the prestige frame. :D

Thanks for the info, sounds like it would be worth a look and ride. I passed on a 88 or 89 'lanche last year and have been regretting it ever since. I like the look of these frames.

The seat, ick. I actually have a GT seat I would put on that bike if I get it.

Price is good, I guess. The wife doesn't think so.

Beautiful ride, loveley smooth components. Only criticism is stem length which is designed for old-fashioned lean-right-over-the-bars off road style.
Pulls my back after a while when riding seated, tho might be mine as its a 20" frame.

This one looks like my size and mostly original. Reflectors usually mean it hasn't seen too many trails, though the chainrings look a little worn.

Has anybody seen a purple Avalanche before, not the Team? Could be a rare color?

I'll be looking at the bike this evening!

Attachments

• GT2.jpg
    GT2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 994
Looking at the RB catalog for this year they show the Purple Haze (on the Karakoram) as being purple with flashes of white. This paint on this 'lanche looks different but still cool.

In any case if I get the bike I will post pictures.

Just returned home with a almost all original 1990 GT Avalanche in Lunarscape.

Pics to be posted soon. I really like this bike!

Back