The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Just picked up my first road bike in 30 years other than Armstrong as I wanted a usable example. Anyway, looking at the brakes ther appears to be adjustment via the bell shaped threaded wheel at the cable end. As it is assembled at present it seems not to do anything. Should it be above the arm so as to alter the cable length when turned?

Rear is the same. Can't see any other fine adjustment so at present all done on cables. It does have a qr cam.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 486
Looks like it should be up the other way and the brake cable outer fits in the end. You can also fit a thick rubber O ring in the recess to make it easier to turn.

Thanks sorted. With addition of a washer looks right and with an o ring would be fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 467
You don't want the washer in there because you wind the adjuster out to nip the brakes up. Once you wind it up a bit, the washer will be loose and rattling around :D

Doesn't work like that. Adjuster rotates and is held tight by brake spring pressure. Other part with cable in it sits in key way and doesn't rotate. I was unable to turn it without the addition of the greased washer as it was worn to the shaped of the bar. You can just see it.

I could be wrong but works as seen.

The problem with the washer is that the barrel adjuster should have a groove on the bottom that prevents it from turning as you brake which will eventually result in soft braking. Although this set up still looks a bit odd, maybe it is not the correct adjustor for this brake set?

That may make sense given the slight curve in the base. That would limit adjustment to half turns requiring the cam to be released first. Bit of a faff?

Back