Repainting fork lowers...final result page 3

Re: repainting fork lowers

Selection of wet and dry (mixed pack of different grades); some alcohol cleaner like body shop panel wipe; masking tape; primer (may or may not be needed depending on condition of lowers); paint and lacquer (again may/may not be needed depending on paint). Read a few spray painting guides and you'll be away :)

I've found Hammerite paint good in the past. It doesn't need a primer or lacquer either. Gives a nice durable finish. One can should do the lowers nicely.

Thanks EofB...have ordered mixed wet and dry (800-2000), tack rags. I have alcohol cleaner and tape. This is going to be fun!

Rubbed down and applying primer. Bit of a mistake letting my 8yo girl have a go...ah well...let it dry and sand out the runs!

Okay...applying main coat now, lots of thin coats/ Question, at what point shall I give the legs a rub down with fine wet and dry to obtain a super smooth finish? Final layer of top coat...or just the clear coat?

Get a few coats on so there is a bit of pait on there, then use the wet & dry (used wet). I usually put a bit of washing up liquid in the water to help lube it and clean it at the same time. I'd go really fine with the wet & dry too, maybe 2000-2500 grade.

Do this after 2-3 coats see how it looks and add another coat if needed. Then do similar with the lacquer. Should be glass like when you're done.

Excellent progress!

Thanks...just read somewhere that the coats should go on whilst the previous coat is still a bit tacky...need to time this right then!

That's right. Given the heat at the moment this might be 5-10 moms rather than the usual 10-15 mins. Like the idea of using a bath as a spray booth, handy!

Latest posts

Back