Damaged Bottom bracket threads please help.

trxrincon

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hey, My dad and I have recently put a bottom bracket into his 02 Sworks fsr and we've came to the conclusion its the wrong one as its damaged (not stripped) the threads on the drive side. The threads still hold just not very well. Is there anything that can be done to fix the threads? Many thanks Rob

What BB are you trying to fit?

Once alloy threads are damaged you can't do much with them that's not going to require some serious metalwork....

YOu could try fitting another chainset. Bearing cups on SHimano HTII seem to be tighter than the Hollowetch and square taper versions. But get the threads chased first so you don't compound the issue and use a threadlock when fitting. Also - it's pretty impossible for them to work loose due to the way the whole system fits together.

no idea in relation to anything after square taper cranks, but before when the threads were knackered could permanently fix the fixed cup which is what I have done in an old Carlton as want to use ISO cranks so limited sealed alternatives, or could permanently fix in a sealed bb or use a threadless one

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/19082160 ... =65&ff19=0

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the replies. The bottom bracket we now think we need( and have bought) is a 73mm Shimano es51 e type. Thanks Daugs I'll have a look at that link.

ES51 is one of those with steel threads that you'll find easy to wind in but will probably come loose again, sadly.

I've just called one of my local bike shops and he said he could have a go at retailing it as he has a tool to do that. So that might be worth a go?

Argos can helicoil BB's if it gets that bad, had my Bullitt done in 03 after the bb worked loose and killed the threads....

10 years on and they are as strong as the day they were done.

Cheers Mick, were only about an hour and a half away from Edinburgh. Sounds good. It seems to be holding well at the minuite but we will see!

I used a bmw epoxy to put a bb in on a frame that had no threads (stripped beyond repair). it was on an alloy focus frame with a steel shimano bb. the epoxy was designed for gluing the alloy front ends to the steel bulkhead on m5,s and after 24 hours i got my 18 stone mate to take it off road. not a murmur from it. obviously its a 1 hit wonder though.

Back