Olympic Gold, US Open, Wimbledon and now the US Open Again!

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Spoiler It Turned Out Nice Again!

technodup":uc5reihx said:
ededwards":uc5reihx said:
technodup":uc5reihx said:
77 years since an Englishman last won at Wimbledon...

:facepalm:
The dots are the clue. See my previous post.

I would do the double facepalm thing but I'm not a twat.

Thanks for clarifying.

The most important thing about nationality in my view is what someone self identifies themselves as.

Murray is clear he is a Scot, and clear he is a proud Brit.

The way he dispatched Djoko and Fed at the Olympics was testament to his feeling of belonging in that British Olympics team.

Rod Stewart is a proud Scot.

I am a proud Scot, but proud of some aspects of being a Brit.

Ultimately I wouldn't let my nationality get in the way of my interactions with anyone though.

Sport is no fun if you don't pick a side, that is really what it boils down to.

Nothing much deeper.

I love Djoko, and if he was up against Nadal in the final I would have been rooting for him.

I root for anyone against Vettel in the F1, hasn't been very successful so far.

Murray has been on a journey, and he has reached the destination.

Anything more is a bonus. I will be happy to see him playing for Team GB in Brazil, even if wins nothing up until then.

This thread would have been a nice place to celebrate our new Wimbledon Champion.

If anyone wants to start a thread about nationalism and Alex Salmond, fizz off and fill your boots.

Real tennis fans will be delirious we, Brits, Scots, Whelks and Irish have a champion.

An eloquent explanation of your motives for the thread. I was pleased to see what appears to be a deserving and gracious sportsman win. Regardless of his nationality. Felt the same for Goran.

The History Man":2quugdm7 said:
Hope you don't mean me? Was just wondering as I'm English by birth with unknown origins. Not sure if Murray is mine if you know what I mean.

Nope, not you.

Cheers. Funny thing is, my name is Wallace! Really.

highlandsflyer":19pqdr0q said:
The most important thing about nationality in my view is what someone self identifies themselves as.

Murray is clear he is a Scot, and clear he is a proud Brit.

The way he dispatched Djoko and Fed at the Olympics was testament to his feeling of belonging in that British Olympics team.

Rod Stewart is a proud Scot.

I am a proud Scot, but proud of some aspects of being a Brit.

Ultimately I wouldn't let my nationality get in the way of my interactions with anyone though.

Sport is no fun if you don't pick a side, that is really what it boils down to.

Nothing much deeper.

I love Djoko, and if he was up against Nadal in the final I would have been rooting for him.

I root for anyone against Vettel in the F1, hasn't been very successful so far.

Murray has been on a journey, and he has reached the destination.

Anything more is a bonus. I will be happy to see him playing for Team GB in Brazil, even if wins nothing up until then.

This thread would have been a nice place to celebrate our new Wimbledon Champion.

If anyone wants to start a thread about nationalism and Alex Salmond, fizz off and fill your boots.

Real tennis fans will be delirious we, Brits, Scots, Whelks and Irish have a champion.

Well said that man.. :cool:

And he has anounced that he is donating all of the 1.6 million winnings to Cancer Research.

I just came back home from picking the noise makers up from their friends' BBQ. They are mainly Polish, but some Estonians, Latvians, Chez, Romanian, African of various flavours. The wee lassies from Somalia were wearing Andy Murray T-shirts and most of the rest were too. There were our national flags amongst all the different ones. Everyone got behind Murray because he is the 'local' kid.

That is what sport can do, and all the divisive bola bola is just that.

Hands across the world and all that. Football does it, tennis does it.

I am not offended by seeing St. George's flag at the football matches, and I dig Morris Dancing.

England are my team once Scotland is out of any tournament, so more often than not!

I am going to be shouting my support for Laura Robson and Heather Watson as vociferously as for Murray in future matches. I followed James Ward's progress closely.

If Andy Murray was Welsh, Irish or English I am certain I would be behind him.

I screamed in approval as Henman won his points in those tense Wimbledon rounds back in the day.

It's just a game.

It can also be so much more.

Every single person who wants to feel part of this has the right.

I was ecstatic when Wiggins won the Tour.

As a cyclist life long I claim my part of that.

Anyone who ever picked up a tennis racquet or a snooker cue, or donned speedos and goggles can feel a part of what a sportsman achieved. Anyone who sits on their sofa and shouts encouragement can feel part of it. It is what sport is all about.

I have spent my life playing tennis, never very well. When I was a little guy my mum played with us. She was a badminton champion not many years before.

I decided to focus on sailing, kayaking and riding motorbikes. If there had been an Andy Murray back then I may well have got much more serious about tennis, but there wasn't. McEnroe and Borg were certainly influences, but you could not reach out and touch them like you can Murray.

At 45 I may have left it too late, but my kids and my wife are off to play tennis tomorrow.

I don't think they will find a court available, so I will probably drag some garden mesh out of the shed and rig it up on the lawn.

OMG!! amazing the first British win in 77 years. Andy must be feeling so awesome right now, I couldn't watch it but when my hubby told me I spilled my drink. Well done Andy :D

I have been fighting with my 13 year old because she put kisses on my thread :facepalm: my hubby had to drag her out of the room, 'struth girls eh!!

Alison

Never really been into tennis but, well done that man! That last game...

Back