what to do with all the old parts that dont get used

I'm in the same boat. Stuff I can't sell, mainly due to the high postage prices it's not worth it. Rather than put it in
the bin / recycle the parts I'm just storing it and keeping my eye out for a few "needed" bits to build a complete SS errand
bike for urban duties. When done, I can eventually sell it for peanuts to a student or donate the whole bike. Gives me
some pleasure building a useful bike out of tat.

NeilM":kw25safz said:
Why not see if there is a local 'bike project' close to you, they can usually use all the parts they can get, to refurbish old / donated bikes that then get used in the local community.

there is a church charity that helps homeless and ex cons back on their feet, ive sent them a message and waiting for a reply.
I mentioned the Halfords scheme here as its a national thing. I tried to move the box today, picked it up and the bottom fell out :shock:
ive lost count off all the cheep runabouts ive made out of fames and parts that come my way, this box of bit is a result of whats left over

:LOL: ...scroll down to the bottom of the page in the Halfords link above;

GM's Kilauea wouldn't be 'acceptable...' :LOL:

Look for a local scheme, there are plenty of bike recycling projects around over the country, if you're down this way then the one I work for (Ride-On, cycling for all!) would gladly take any parts whatever condition, what we cant use gets recycled :)

so it turns out Halfords wont take parts, and the local charity cant pick up, local scrap is 13p per kilo for mixed scrap. it looking like the bin is the only option :(

That's a shame. I sorted mine for recycling bin and the other metals to the rag and bone man. The rest I karma'd. sometimes it's hard to do the right thing. :cry:

Back