Curve crank for a 96 Kona Kilauea

Gnarly Mavis

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

Anyone got a LH Curve crank currently unloved?? :|

Or a RH one??

I have counted 7 (yes 7) cracks in my original 96 LH one - it was creaking for some time but I thought it was the square taper - but it seems not! :(

Anyone seen this cracking before? My RH one seems to be fine.

Cheers! Gnarly

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 434
Sorry to say no spares here..but yes, these cranks were sadly known for cracking and failing. Most '96 Konas you tend to see that were specced with these have had them replaced with something more sturdy as a result.

Good luck with the search, but in my opinion I would use is as an excuse for a little upgrade ;)

Thanks Mynchiboy,

Did Curve go bust then??

Any ideas on an age-appropriate chainset to go for?

My 95 AA has a Sugino Impel set which seems to be ok, if a little worn...

cheers, GM

Not sure what happened to Curve to be honest, I believe Kona bought the rights to the name for their own brand of components on the '96 bikes, notably the chainsets and brakes (which also seem to have a bit of an iffy reputation, mostly for flexing and being a pain to set up). These components had been dropped by the next model year.

As for replacements, there's plenty of choice - my Kona and GT (95 and 97) are running White Industries and Middleburn RS7 cranks and I've had no problems with either. The Sugino Mighty 900 cranks fitted as stock to the '97 Explosif are also pretty cool I believe, but a bit hard to find. Hope this helps :)

Back