RetroRoadRide Series 4: Herefordshire Grimpeur - Aftermath

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Smashing ride yesterday in Goldilocks weather (not too warm, not too cold), thanks to everyone who came for "making it what cycling is about".

Re: RetroRoadRide Series 4: Herefordshire Grimpeur - Afterma

Was it hard?

Top ride yesterday. Big thanks to Ed for orgainsing and sorting a cracking route. Also big thanks to Lil' Boss and Ed for their hospitality. The food and lager apres ride was very gratefully received :)

Highlights as follows
*Great route over some quiet lanes with some marvellous views over Herefordshire and beyond. Ed wasn't kidding when he called it the Grimpeur. Every climb saw Robin and Martin hammering up it like Froome and Porte on yesterdays Tour stage (and the rest of us disappearing backwards like Evans and Dirty Bertie). Only 50 miles but was plenty tough enough.
*The weather. Sunny and warm, almost forgot the weather could be like this in the UK.
*Good banter as ever.
*The bikes, some top rides on show. Thought Matt's Masi was pretty special and rather understated.
*Dave's guinea pig t-shirt. Masterful.

Sure there is more I've forgotten. Also more than happy to take three beautiful wins with BoTR (would agree it needs new wheels), first to eat three tortillas (sorry Ed) and first passed the final sign (from one entrant).

Looking forward to the next road ride I can make :)

Fantastic day out, many thanks to Ed/Little Boss.

The route is here for anyone who fancies giving this a go:

http://app.strava.com/activities/65151881

Shows well over 1,200M of climbing in just over 80km, so proper grimpeur stuff.

I'm off to find the GuineaPigsR-Us website...

It was hard.

Did write a nice summary of yesterday but it got deleted by mistake :twisted:

Quick summary version then

- Herefordshire can be brutal
- Matt is just wrong on many levels
- JV wants a guinea pig
- The Nuneaton tag team in force
-The fear of cheese gate 2

A really fantastic days riding with Michelin hospitality after from ED and the little boss :cool:

Really a massive thank you to ED for hosting another great ride that I can't see being bettered in a long while.

Some pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2,170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 2,170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2,170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,170

Although memory is shaky after 24 hours I do recall the following:

- Martin showing up on the hottest day of the year wearing 3/4 thermal bibs. Luckily we are a similar size (Martin - 52cm frames, me 64cm frames) so I loaned a pair of shorts. Fastest they've ever been.

- out of the 8 bikes, thankfully 50% eschewed any sort of indexed gearing.

- Matt's mind is a very scary place

- apparently I am "carrying a bit of timber". Thankfully John and Matt helped out by eating all the burritos so I had to make do with nacho scrapings.

- being dropped repeatedly on my own ride.

- why was I the only one to have a pint at the pub (thanks Robin)? It may of course be connected with the above two points.

- a plaintive voice asking if we could "finish on the main road". No John, it's called the Herefordshire Grimpeur for a reason.

- touching 60kph then touching cloth.

- the final 'sprint'. Not sure who is claiming the victory but when I looked a baggy green CTC jersey was 50m off the front, the dull ferrous trim on the Raleigh a splendid counterpoint.

- Matt's Masi. Tidy frame but the three shades of blue and two of yellow made me feel like I was biliously watching 'Avatar' with wonky 3D glasses. It's got potential but read The Rules Big Man.

Back