Al Carter

lostboy

Retro Newbie
Hi, Google brought me here as I was interested to know about the bike I have just bought, I don't think much of it to be honest mainly as the seat is the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on and I think I paid a bit much for it but I don't know it might have been worth it.

It is an Al Carter dedre dx team memphis bike, I have already read that these were Townsend premium bikes but can anyone give me some information on the bike its self?

It picks up speed quickly which is nice and has Al Carter on the handle bars and seat so I'm guessing they took pride in these bikes just a shame its like sitting on a pointy rock its a horrible green colour and the chain wont stay on the front cogs when I tried to change it, wont even go up to the third one lol

It's fully kitted out with crap black plastic mudguards (a godsend in bad weather I suppose) hand pump, zefal water bottle holder, digital odometer thing and bull bars and a pouch tied to the seat bar, which reminds me the seat moves side to side slightly lol.

Good condition but how much would you expect to pay for one of these, how old is it and do they last?

When I say the chain wont stay on the front cogs I mean it wont stay on the second one when I change up and doesn't go up to the third. Problem with the cable?

Well here is my 2 penneth! Al carter were cheap bikes but with good kit for the money...Aluminium frames and a bit stiff for my liking but if it has DX gears and brakes etc then that is a good thing...the frames themselves whilst not terrible were not that great either in my opinion. But a seat can be replaced for something more fitting to you butt so don't right it off because of that!

As for age I would say late 80's early 90's but a picture of said bike would help...would I keep it? personally I would take all the kit off it and chuck it on another frame but thats just me! Money wise if its in good condition I might part with £70-80 for it mainly for the groupset!

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum

Doug

Oh and the chain not staying in the middle ring and not shifting to the top is probably down to cable stretch and just needs a bit of adjustment!

Thanks Doug, so I gather £150 was probably a bit steep for one of these lol I was told they were expensive bikes back in the day circa £500, I did think the frame was quite stiff but passed it off as me not used to riding a bike for a long time.

I will post a picture at some point but generally it really is a clean looking bike.

Andrew.

lostboy":1qi8itxn said:
Thanks Doug, so I gather £150 was probably a bit steep for one of these lol I was told they were expensive bikes back in the day circa £500, I did think the frame was quite stiff but passed it off as me not used to riding a bike for a long time.

I will post a picture at some point but generally it really is a clean looking bike.

Andrew.

If its clean and in gwo then that's half the battle! Put it this way £150 in halfords wouldn't get you anything half as good! So ride it a bit and see what you think...

'back in the day' when men were men and women were women and summers were, well, you get the idea, they were mainly bought for their groupsets. The bikes were so ludicrously cheap that some of the shops bought them in and used the groupset to sell on more expensive frames.

Unfortunately, like many a brand name, it got associated with some really bad bicycles - the sort with 'SIS' 6spd gears and plastic thumbies so the brand disappeared. The frames are generic Taiwanese, built along side more famous names but never managing to get a good reputation despite being almost identical.

You paid a wee bit high but from the pic, its not that bad?

1013199_10151603164903853_528577046_n.jpg

The frames are generic Taiwanese, built along side more famous names

Yep, the braze-ons, canti hanger, drop outs look very much like my Made in Taiwan 1990 Marin and it also looks very similar to my unknown Made in Taiwan frame. The frames are not as nicely finished as some of the more exotic "hand made" UK and US built frames, but they ride well enough.

What's the frame made of? Unless it's plain old high tensile steel, which I doubt given the components, it should have a sticker somewhere saying something like Tange, Cro-Mo, 4130 or something like that.

Back