Viper Scandium - Weight Weenie build

Re: Viper Scandium 19lb Weight Weenie build

02gf74":3v5rgg6o said:
why did you not fit disc brakes/wheels?

Because this is Retrobike?! :) Well I suppose this one's not retro but I think of it/myself as retro in spirit, hence the weight weenie angle, excessive use of ano bolts, Manitou Mars and I suppose, V-brakes. To be honest I don't have a lot of experience with discs. Basically I have 2 good sets of original Crossmaxes that I feel I should make use of while I've still got frames that can take V's. If I could find a good set of superlight and moderately prices disc wheels I'd consider going for it - but I haven't seen too many of them.

Well put, eveyone seems disc obsessed at the moment. People forget that less than a year ago, simple pads on rims was all Wiggins needed to win the tour de France, even in the mountains. If they can stop him when needed, they sure are good enough for me!

yes, but wiggi as I like to call him does not take his TDF bike through 6 inches of mud that wear rims in not ime plus if he did, he would get new wheels pronto.

i am seeing discs on road bikes, still not sure if it is a great idea but if they weigh simlar and give equal or better perfromance, how can it be a bad thing?

02gf74":3u9oirk9 said:
yes, but wiggi as I like to call him does not take his TDF bike through 6 inches of mud that wear rims in not ime plus if he did, he would get new wheels pronto.

I eventually took the plunge into discs after a particularly wet ride on gravelly tracks with a set of expensive wheels I'd recently got. All I could here all day was the sound of my lovely new rims being ground away.

Another quick update for anyone following the weight reduction/ano-blinging on this thread... replaced the seatpost with a nice new Hylix carbon one (156g) off ebay that comes with a nice red clamp section. Got it for £35 delivered.

Also now got hold of what's probably the lightest Shimano front mech, an M952, tuned down to 107g.

Waiting for some Ti bolts for the F99 stem, but I'm close to calling it a day at that point. The only possible changes I have at the back of my mind are a very fancy set of disc wheels and an XTR M970 chainset (which I think would save about 80g over the XT Octalinnk setup)

Attachments

• Viper July '13.JPG
    Viper July '13.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 1,131
  • Hylix.JPG
    Hylix.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,131

BobCatMax":2o478vgk said:
whats the current weight??
Based on every part meticulously digitally weighed (see first post for all) I'm currently at 8.721kg (19.20lb). Without the 'optional' bar ends that would be 8.656kg (19.07lb). An old analog spring scale seems to bear this out, but I'll be getting it on a set of digital scales soon!

Still a bit tempted to put my Trigon carbon fork on to take it down to 7.865kg (17.32lb) / 7.800kg (17.18lb) without bar ends, but need to keep telling myself this is a bike to be ridden, not weighed... :)

I looked at a brand new top end titanium Lynskey today. It was a hardtail with Sram red 10 speed groupo and top end bits and for £5,000 weighed a massive 9.5kg, thats nearly a full kilo more than yours! :oops:

I haven't done much to this bike for a while, but on goes an uber-rare set of Whitewall Continental Race King Supersonics. Shame they're not that light but they should offer a bit more in perfomance than the Kenda Klimax.

I thought these would look amazing, but now I've fitted them the jury's out... the 2.2s just feels a bit too fat for me. Hmmm

Attachments

• Conti whitewall.jpg
    Conti whitewall.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 1,023
Back