Just asking

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
If you were previously as mad as a hatter's tea party and you felt that the slightest hint of it was emerging out of the blue, would you wait until you were really convinced or would you seek support before before any of the worst could happen? It just feels slightly scary but my GP said once "I don't think your depressed just a bit down" yet soon after I was sectioned for 4.5 months, Oh yeah! just a bit down? It's just a bad week perhaps but that's how it always starts and then I ruin it for every one not just me :oops:

Alison

Go to the doctors straight away. If it is just a blip then the worst that will happen is you've wasted some time in the doctors. If it is more serious, then there's a chance you'll nip it in the bud.

I always think of mental illness like any other illness. If you were in remission for cancer and felt like you had symptoms similar to ones you had prior to going into remission then you'd be down the doctors as fast as you could, right?

the best way to beat depression is exercise.
have you been out on your bike lately ?
if you feel any inkling you are slipping downhill, don't ignore it.

from personal experience my GP was very happy to prescribe many remedies which worked short term.
in the end depression was just a bad habit for me.
and a lack of ceratonin.
if you look for the positives in life you will find them, and there are plenty if you look hard enough.

that said i can empathise with anyone who struggles with depression.
don't give, you certainly aren't on your own.

Many thanks for your support it's important to me but I can never understand this exercise helps thing, I was such a fit healthy person and each time I've fallen I have become almost incapacitated where small movements become great achievements, so the idea that exercise helps depression is like saying just buck up and pull yourself together, when your really that low a walk from the back room to the front room is like climbing Mount Everest, it's like your carrying earth on your shoulders and everything is in so much pain that just going to the toilet is a mammoth task. The last bout I was like a tramp just not living on the street and peeing my pants, I just took it out on myself and when I collapsed they gave me transfusions, once I refused and they had the blood and although when I was unconscious they did it anyway they were never nice to me again for nearly wasting the blood. No, exercise does nothing when your that down.

Alison

Alison Videojetman is absolutely correct, Im not sure if it'll get rid of depression BUT it WILL keep it at bay trust me ;)

yep,my doctor told me to get out on my b ike more often when i went a few months ago because i wanted to end it all,and as some of you know my life has defo got worse in the past week,but riding my bike just takes my mind away from it all for a while,and thats about all i can say on the matter. :)

Hi alison
For you to know something is wrong is a giant leap forward , my ex wife suffered badly with depression but would not or could not see or accept it for many years , infact it took my son to show her ,but not before it changed the quiet gentle girl i married at 17 into a hard aggressive woman that no matter what i did it was wrong or done to upset her ! It cost me my marriage , my house , everything , we were married for 22 good years before depression killed it .
That was 8 years ago , i have since re married and started to get my life and my own health back on track , i still find this really hard to talk about , let alone on a bike forum ! so please try and talk to someone , what harm can it do ?
All the best and hang in there . Paul
PS you too Corsarob .

depression is one of those things thats different for everyone.
and for the individual going through it, it seems there is no cure or hope.
for me i likened it to being in a very large room with one door locked, in complete darkness, and somewhere in the room was a key.
in the end i did find the key.
there is always a ray of light if you look for it.
i think of depression like some monster which latches on to us.
the thing is, this monster lives off negative thoughts.
if you starve the monster of negative thoughts, it dies.
as one person who has suffered years of depression, i can say i know exactly what its like to suffer this.
my heart goes out to anyone who is fighting this monster.

thing is to do something to distract you ... and the difficulty is the getting round to doing it. phyical activity e.g. exercise is one way and if you can arrange to do that with a friend/someone else, then that will help to get you to do it.

Back