BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
Does anyone know what the stock grips were on the 1990 Kona's. Buggered if I can remember! We're they the same grips across the range?

They were sort of hexagonal thin rubber which eventually wore out & split, which is why so few have survived ;)
They were really grippy though :)
Good luck in finding some ;)

They were called "hotdog" grips i think, hence the little impression of a hotdog on the original bar end plug.

Gruff":ihmibyzx said:
They were sort of hexagonal thin rubber which eventually wore out & split, which is why so few have survived ;)

I seem to remember those on my 91 Cindercone, were they on the 1990 bikes too?

RadNomad":1ueirhyq said:
They were called "hotdog" grips i think, hence the little impression of a hotdog on the original bar end plug.

They would be a few years later no?

Well the ones on the 1992 CC I had were pretty thick with a ribbed (oo er) pattern and slightly bulbous (oo er) end. They were covered at the end so no bar plugs were needed. Those, as far as I know were standard on the 1992 range.

raidan73":2d7ychxs said:
RadNomad":2d7ychxs said:

They would be a few years later no?

Yes you're right sorry i misread the question as 1990s era (i.e. the decade) rather than the specific year 1990. My slow brain can't keep up with my fast eyes while reading :oops:

raidan73":168m95u2 said:
Gruff":168m95u2 said:

I seem to remember those on my 91 Cindercone, were they on the 1990 bikes too?

The ones i'm describing were on my 1993 Hahanna

1991 Cinder Cone grips were thin hexagonal affairs. They had a slight bulge in the middle and tapered out thinner towards either end. They did have a short shelf life. I ended up replacing them with Ritchey True Grips. They were of a similar style, bulge in the middle, tapering down. I found the Ritchey Grips too big. The centre bulge was taller than the Kona grip and dug into the palm of my hand. The only plus side was that the Ritchey grips lasted longer.

Latest posts

Back