I'm impressed with myself

RobMac":1kzkk5n1 said:
Nice one Alison :D
Once you reach your target weight go out a treat yourself to something nice/girlie to wear. Ooow one other thing dont get carried away with the weight loss cause I dont like cuddlin a bag of bones ;)

I'll do my best to stay a little bit cuddly just not blue whale cuddly :D

Alison

Neil":q832h163 said:
We_are_Stevo":q832h163 said:
'Living on coffee' will not do your blood pressure any favours, and is terrible for cellulite!

Dunno about the cellulite thing - but all the same, caffeine most definitely does have an impact on the metabolic rate (only in a temporary fashion, mind), given all the other comments in the thread about what's supposed to influence the metabolism.

I tend to drink decaf after 2pm as I cannot sleep otherwise, but I do like my caffeine fix before then :oops:

Alison

Neil":27zndkve said:
Isaac_AG":27zndkve said:
I know your not supposed to skip meals as your body reacts to it like starvation, but if you have never had breakfast since you were a kid, I figure my body does not know it's missing something, I also only occasionally have something for lunch, I tend to live on coffee and dinner. When I separated from my hubby though for a bit I lived for a while in the local town and ate packet food and loads of pizzas as it was across the road and beer, hence the mahusive gain in weight :oops: now I eat small portions of food at night and a couple of beers on a Friday night and that's it.

Alison

Your body / metabolism does not react to skipped meals in quite that timeframe.

Hormonal response might - which can well have a significant affect on appetite and craving, but not metabolic rate. That's why people talking about small regular meals being better for your metabolism, or not to skip a meal 'cos it will make your metabolism slow down are talking absolute rubbish.

It may well have other effects, that may affect cravings / hunger / appetite, but not the metabolism, not to any degree of significance in that timeframe.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.htm

Isaac_AG":etjladmd said:
Neil":etjladmd said:
We_are_Stevo":etjladmd said:
'Living on coffee' will not do your blood pressure any favours, and is terrible for cellulite!

Dunno about the cellulite thing - but all the same, caffeine most definitely does have an impact on the metabolic rate (only in a temporary fashion, mind), given all the other comments in the thread about what's supposed to influence the metabolism.

I tend to drink decaf after 2pm as I cannot sleep otherwise, but I do like my caffeine fix before then :oops:

Alison

Good plan!

In terms of people talking about upping the metabolic rate, diet isn't necessarily a huge factor. Sustained negative equity when dieting - not over a day, or perhaps 2, mind - but sustained, will depress the metabolic rate.

Outside of stimulants and drugs, the best way of increasing the metabolic rate is to be active - that's why many find a sustainable solution is moderate reduction in calories, and increase in activity.

We_are_Stevo":1gy5siy5 said:
Neil":1gy5siy5 said:
Isaac_AG":1gy5siy5 said:
I know your not supposed to skip meals as your body reacts to it like starvation, but if you have never had breakfast since you were a kid, I figure my body does not know it's missing something, I also only occasionally have something for lunch, I tend to live on coffee and dinner. When I separated from my hubby though for a bit I lived for a while in the local town and ate packet food and loads of pizzas as it was across the road and beer, hence the mahusive gain in weight :oops: now I eat small portions of food at night and a couple of beers on a Friday night and that's it.

Alison

Your body / metabolism does not react to skipped meals in quite that timeframe.

Hormonal response might - which can well have a significant affect on appetite and craving, but not metabolic rate. That's why people talking about small regular meals being better for your metabolism, or not to skip a meal 'cos it will make your metabolism slow down are talking absolute rubbish.

It may well have other effects, that may affect cravings / hunger / appetite, but not the metabolism, not to any degree of significance in that timeframe.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.htm

I've heard, read and seen plenty of claims that more, small meals affects the metabolism. Problem is, I don't recall reading any actual scientific studies that prove it matters to any degree of significance.

It can matter more for satiety - but then there's probably just as many people that can't get along with small meals, as will find fewer, larger meals better for them.

In short, there's lots of bodybuilding sites, that proliferate a lot of things that have long been considered absolute, and often, bro-science, but the true science and study behind it shows nothing of any significance. And the other aspect, being that many in the world of bodybuilding use various PEDs, which change things rather significantly and fundamentally, compared with people not directly messing with their endocrine system.

True, but then I wasn't suggesting it was Gospel, just that if you read through it you can pick out the pertinent facts...

...my bro is a sports nutritionist, and he struggles with his weight now he's well past the wrong side of 40; but at least he knows what he's doing, even it is difficult to balance the diet he needs to maintain his physique whilst keeping the weight off where he doesn't want it!

We_are_Stevo":13l79012 said:
True, but then I wasn't suggesting it was Gospel, just that if you read through it you can pick out the pertinent facts...

Correction - you can pick out the pertinent facts, if you are informed on the subject.

That's something I take issue with a lot of what gets talked about - some of it has absolutely no basis in fact, some of it has basis, but is entirely wrongly attributed.

Meal frequency doesn't necessarily have no impact on things like hormonal response and other aspects to how the body is responding to food. But in the scope of meal frequency, has no tangible bearing on the metabolic rate. Yet people still trot out this apparent axiom that eating 6 meals a day (or whatever frequency they're selling...) will boost peoples' metabolism. It's a crock - it may help for other reasons, but not because it's magically making their metabolic rate change with any degree of ongoing significance.

We_are_Stevo":1iqj4yk6 said:
...unless you combine it with the dreaded 'E' word that is...

...EXERCISE! :shock:

Not quite sure I'm following?

Clearly exercise and activity can alter the metabolic rate - I said as much earlier - the main factors would be stimulants, drugs, activity. I suppose illness, too.

Probably the best way, though - although I would say people blame some of their ills on a "slow metabolism" when I'm not wholly convinced - is through increasing activity - and it doesn't have to be a enduring hard slog of cardio - it could be using the stairs at work, rather than the lift, or walking when you can rather than taking the car, getting off the bus or tube a stop or two earlier.

Back