Ah the school sports day

I'm sorry but the 'It's not fair...' 'It's humiliating...' arguments are just so much tosh!

If you allow your child to get fat then 'you' need a slap upside your head from the PE teacher!

Small wonder we've turned into a workshy nation of talentless wannabes who just want to famous without actually doing anything for it!

Meanwhile non-English speaking immigrants continue to make their way to this country from the Pacific Rim and their kids soak up the education like sponges, putting our own to shame every time...

...thus disproving the argument that our education system is rubbish that so many trot out! :facepalm:

The funny thing is when it cam to handing out the certificates all the children walked up smiled shook hands with the teacher and stood in line, my son was soo eager to et up, the teacher had not finished his sentence when he just stopped and said come on Isaac get here, and my son ran over, then the trophies were given out and they collected them with a smile and another shake, my son wiggled his hips in a celebratory walk bowed to the crowd, who laughed and took his trophy and medal, I felt very red and embarrassed :oops: but secretly felt just as smug :D

But I hated sports day myself because I did find it humiliating I was a very fit active child but just not quick and was laughed at a lot:oops: But the other children in my family take their losses well and are in a less ridiculed position.

Alison

It's not that PE or competition is essentially humiliating, it's the failed wannabe sports star morons that become PE teachers that are the problem (I might be generalising slightly there, but it seems depressingly valid for the vast majority I've come across.)

I was never fat, my son is as lean as they come - it doesn't stop thick PE teachers (who despise all those who have a bit of intellect or show any hint of being able to think for themselves) from picking up on any weak points and using them to ridicule these pupils. That's not teaching, that's bullying and whilst it may breed a certain type of robotic efficiency to some extent, it's not the way to get the most out of what are often the more thoughtful and usefully able pupils.

I'm dead against namby-pamby babying, but bullying is not one bit better.

PE teachers are not 'failed anything wannabees' they all have to have qualifications to teach other subjects as well...

...my favourite PE teacher was also a math's teacher, the other taught geography; both used to call me 'Mr' Harris from the age of 14 because I was tall. though I wasn't particularly adept at sports because I grew so tall so quickly; being gangly isn't conducive to much other than basketball and the high jump, and I never fancied the idea of doing the 'Fosbury Flop' into sand!

In the 4th Year I effectively gave up 'Games' when I joined the school rifle club (can you imagine that in this day and age! :shock: ) and in the 5th Year I regularly outshot the School Team; unfortunately I wasn't allowed to join the school team because you had to be in the Upper 6th... :(

Also, in the 5th Year I attended just the first and last PE sessions of the year; when I received my report at the end of Term my PE teacher had written 'Stephen is a willing and able participant, when he is available...'

That's what I call a cool teacher :cool:

Just because a teacher raises his voice doesn't make him a bully...

The History Man":2hre6d95 said:
Have you got a brush? As we seem to be sweeping generalisations.

:) I know... I'm basing my opinions on all the PE teachers in the schools I went to (and from what I hear today, not much has changed.) I can think of maybe one that didn't actively mock and ridicule, but encouraged instead... generalisation indeed, but it's my experience and that's accurate enough for me.

The fact that I hear and read so many other people say exactly the same thing about their PE teachers (over a period of at least a century!) confirms that I didn't just have some unusual experience - yes there are bad teachers of every subject and we could all name some but PE departments are unique in having such a consistent history of being staffed largely by bitter bullying losers.

There should be a 'yawn' smilie.

A bit like :facepalm: (that was a smilie similie)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 161
At my middle school we had a PE teacher that banned PE skirts, this is the 70's, and made everyone strip naked, no exceptions, and when we tried to put towels to cover ourselves in showers she ripped them down and constantly watching, and when we had forgot out PE kit we had to wear baggy green knickers, now this was not the worst as if you were very lucky you could keep your knickers on and tuck them in but if spotted you were made to do PE while still trying to keep them up, one day she made a kid, who had a bladder problem, to run round the track in front of the boys just in her own pants, no one else, just her, she cried all the way round while the boys stud and laughed. I bet she is still in therapy. I thought later that she was perverted, I don't like to accuse and as I'm mentioning no names so I suppose it does not matter, but when she came into my work one day I REALLY wanted to kill her.

I certainly think on the whole it's not like this now.

Alison

Back