Raleigh DHO Archaeology

richyg

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys,

Just doing a bit of reading up about my Raleigh DHO. Now she's a funny old beast. I bough it second hand form a guy who had apparently bought from Rob Jarman when he was sponsored by Raleigh. I got a black box Rockshox Pro Deluxe on there and the frame rode like a dream. I'm currently in the process of building it back up.

Now the bit that has me puzzled: The front triangle has 350 on it, and the back end has DHO. I assume that it's an RSP350 front triangle and DHO rear.
I'm just wondering if all are like this or if it's a team one off frame/prototype?

Anyone seen one like this before?

PS no need to comment on wheel etc, they're just stop gaps!!

Cheers,

Rich

Attachments

• dho_small.jpg
    dho_small.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 793
Great find, sadly thats not a black box pro deluxe, its just a standard RS pro deluxe from back in the day like 98 era they came standard on a few bikes like the Giant ATX One and others

I have 3 that have all gone pop as they are known for doing which sucks, I do have a super rare factory Rockshox Blackbox shock that cam off a Team riders Orange global 222 from the early 00's (see pic) as you can see the reservoir is longer and there is an extra adjuster (high speed compression, low speed compression and rebound) this is the shock that went on to become the vivid.

Depending on what size your shock is you can find them as I just got one custom made from new old stock, seen here

Attachments

• p4pb9386712.jpg
    p4pb9386712.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 753
  • p4pb9386713.jpg
    p4pb9386713.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 752
  • p4pb9386710.jpg
    p4pb9386710.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 752
Hi thanks for that, yes no idea why i wrote black box it clearly isn't!! Pretty impressed that you managed to get a new one. The DHO shock is 196i2i with a 51mm stroke. The 3.5 to 1 leverage ratio is one of the reasons the shock goes pop, that piston is working pretty hard. I had this one TF Tuned years ago which made a big improvement. As for the frame it's a curious beast. Looking at old brochures the 350 had an aluminium front triangle, but this is defo steel (presumably 853 due to the thinness of the headtube). It also has a DHO size shock. strange...

richyg":r6qcnk55 said:
Hi thanks for that, yes no idea why i wrote black box it clearly isn't!! Pretty impressed that you managed to get a new one. The DHO shock is 196i2i with a 51mm stroke. The 3.5 to 1 leverage ratio is one of the reasons the shock goes pop, that piston is working pretty hard. I had this one TF Tuned years ago which made a big improvement. As for the frame it's a curious beast. Looking at old brochures the 350 had an aluminium front triangle, but this is defo steel (presumably 853 due to the thinness of the headtube). It also has a DHO size shock. strange...

All good, yeah I bought it off ebay over here in Australia for $100 about 5 years ago, I found out whos bike it came off and I had a few issues trying to get it serviced as it belongs to Rockshox and each unit was worth 7500usd apparently but I took it to them at the world in Canberra and they didnt seem to mind.

Its a perfect for my Giant, I put it on and it also went pop just by sitting on the bike inside the house.

TF would be good but I live to far away, I managed to get a brand new shock as I pictured, the guy would make you one up if you needed it, but your best to get a fox rc if you can get one in that size.

Hey that looks like the one, just odd mine that mine says 350 on the front triangle. Angle of the linkage arm looks different too.
Very useful to have the original spec... I always wanted a set of deemax's

Back