how do I determine Crank size? 165mm? 170? 175??

IRIX

Retro Guru
How is crank size determined?
Is it by bike size? leg length? height of the rider etc?

Asking because i want to get the right ones and not spend a ton of money on a wrong size.

(btw Im 175cm and looking for a set of anodized black raceface cranks with rings :) )

'Bikefit' isn't really necessary on a mountain bike where you are moving around on the bike all the time...

...essential for roadies who are sat in one position pounding out the miles with relentless precision all day long though.

We_are_Stevo":344tcq77 said:
'Bikefit' isn't really necessary on a mountain bike where you are moving around on the bike all the time...

...essential for roadies who are sat in one position pounding out the miles with relentless precision all day long though.

It's not really necessary for most roadies either, any decent bike shop should be able to get the fit pretty damn good for most people on any bike, if you are having problems or you are racing then go for it, but that is equally applicable to MTBs too.

consider ground clearance...track and fixed need to have some more clearance due to peddling around corners so does riding off road and trails to clear roots etc...bottom bracket hight also plays a part in this, I would suggest cranks longer than 165 ( 170 + ) would work for you :cool:

Technically I should be using 180's on the MTB. Fit Calculations say so (basically ~34" actual inside leg).
My height is not a lot though.

And no you're not always moving around on a bike so go for the best fit you can get. Even then you're legs will be bent and may enjoy the extra stretch it just gives you.
I wouldn't ride with my seat to high or low just because I'm moving around ;-)
170 often come on the smaller bikes as shorter legs are the average.
175 the standard for say ~18"+ (ctt)
I wouldn't fret to much about it though

Back