Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

WTF? :facepalm:
These are Cyclamen seedlings.
Cyclamens flower autumn to spring.
Small low ground cover in part shade/woodland settings.
Nothing to freak out about gentlemen.

Attachments

• drift-of-cyclamen.jpg
    drift-of-cyclamen.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 135
  • cyclamen flowering.jpg
    cyclamen flowering.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 135
Hey come on, I'm new to this gardening lark. Missed your post because you quoted my pics and I thought it was my post.

Just glad to know I don't need to close the bedroom window tonight to keep them out. It's warm!

They're quite pretty, and there's loads! Should look nice come autumn. I take it I should throw the leaf mould back over them then?

Apologies!

And you're quite safe – no hiding under the covers required. Just hiding in the shed.

"Don't have nightmares", as the Crimewatch quote goes ;)

I've inherited a rather superb garden along with the house we bought last August (to be honest, it's a big reason we fell in love with the place), and I've been working like a dog to keep it on the straight and narrow - and enjoying it massively! (I've reached 'that age') so no doubt may have further dumb questions from time to time. Here it is!

DSCF0389_zps31eb70d2.jpg

That's a month back. The roses are out now.

garden_zps911e6d35.jpg

But not that obvious on my crappy composite.

IMAG0076_zpsb386e057.jpg

To the left is a Hornbeam. A nightmare ensued when it dropped it's leaves last autumn. I now have a vac! :D

Apache,
looks like you have a fabulous lush garden there and a grand view too.
It can be hard but it is rewarding.
I'm somewhere round "that age" myself.
For me, the garden and the allotment are the complete opposite to my hi-tech frazzling day job.
All the best with the garden.
Happy to answer any gardening questions that I can.

I went up to the Plant Auction last night at RHS Wisley, and walked away with a few bargains for the garden and one very special plant a Hedychium yunnanense, not only is this one of the hardest Gingers, its rare to say the least, as most of the plants in cultivation are incorrectly named, this specimen is one from Roy Lancasters original introductions from a plant hunting trip to China. I will post pictures when it flowers in a few weeks.

TheGreenRabbit":al3qjrt7 said:
I went up to the Plant Auction last night at RHS Wisley, and walked away with a few bargains for the garden and one very special plant a Hedychium yunnanense, not only is this one of the hardest Gingers, its rare to say the least, as most of the plants in cultivation are incorrectly named, this specimen is one from Roy Lancasters original introductions from a plant hunting trip to China. I will post pictures when it flowers in a few weeks.

Looking forward to the pictures Green Rabbit, as that is a stunning species plant.

Good Lord! Things are shooting up! Still spraying the bind weeds, the potatoes are up to my waist, beans are rattling up the canes and we have toms...It's also chuffin' hot :) but i'm suprised how little watering is required now things are established.

Had a chat with the good lady last night and it occurred to us that this allotment should be useful. We took it on because we thought it would be fun, some fresh air for the kids etc...Now things have been a touch tight financially in the Grumpy household. We decided when we had kids that one of us should stay at home as long as possible and seeing as i had the largest wage the good lady was picked for the job. Roll forward seven ish years and suddenly the allotment, rather than being a fun project is now seen as a genuine method for saving some pennies. So next year we will be planning carefully and really making it work....

Hows everyone else?

I was thinking earlier that this thread needs some gratuitous harvested crop pics.

Today we picked 3Kg of mange tout and sugar snap peas. Also 1Kg of strawberries, the first 4 courgettes, a few tayberries and 2Kg of red currants.

We are also going to pull the Autumn onion and shallot crop this week.

The bad thing is the wife seems to be attacked by various six legged wildlife every time she goes down there. It's like living with a lepper!

Pictures to follow!

Back