Personal Unicorn bikes (What's yours?)

My fave bike I ever had was my 92 Apex. The one on ebay the other week I really shoulda gone higher with my bidding, but I've got this idea I'm gonna find one for peanuts & it ended up going for coconuts. I've got about 3 projects on the go & my head said no.

One day.

My unicorns:
DB Manitou road bike
early Off Road Toad
Rocky Mountain - Tantalus, Wedge
WTB/Trek Team
Mantis Valkyrie EC (not so rare, I know)

This;
file.php

Sold loads of them BITD. Would also love to have the utterly bonkers stablemate to go with it;
scott.jpg

Oh, and a 1995 Kili Flyer. Only pic I can find is in the catalogues here!
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... n_1995.pdf

This is a tough question as I'm still learning (well re-learning) about the bikes I could only dream/read about in the magazines when I was a lad. My first mtb was a Raleigh Cajun and I've never seen another. If one came up I'd consider it for nostalgias sake alone.

I had an rts 2 bitd and its what lead me to this site, after attempting a restore I found it had cracked so was looking for another. Ended up finding a team rts and went through various builds but it is now quite modern wearing m970 xtr, crossmax ceramics, fox forks and carbon bits and pieces. This is my unicorn but as its not retro anymore I've got another waiting in the wings to drape in m900, which is the bike I could not afford bitd (I couldn't have afforded the rts 2 either but after having a couple of bikes stolen that cost me a few hundred quid, a new for old insurance policy covered it somehow).

Other unicorns are:

Pace due to mint sauce (one day I will actually finish that build)

Dekerf - never heard of them before finding this site, but own one now and will one day get around to that too

Amp - was always amazed by them bitd and have had a few that I've never finished building, so the litespeed will hopefully scratch that itch

That's about it - I have other bikes I've bought due to their cache (Klein, to eddy for example), but the Klein is too small and too rigid for an old bloke like me, and the fat, well its still in its box 3 years later and whilst I was excited to own it, I can't inspire myself to build it as I really want an aqua fade yo eddy in m/l, and it isn't one sadly.

I could go on, as the more time I spend on here, the more bikes I see and like and want, but I should focus on the few and part with the many so that I can ride, feel the breeze through my hair rather than spending most of my time shifting boxes of parts, frames and wheels, which get in the way of what it is really all about.

My others apart from the M-Trax, which is now mine, were :-
A Pace (same reason as Ian - Mint Sauce) that had both a retro build and a modern build. I loved it. Sad to see it go but the seatpost got sruck and I had no idea how to get it out without buggering the frame.

San Andreas. That was a case of never meet your heroes. Awful thing. Way too soft and wallowy. Tried a heavier spring and an air shock. Nothing worked.

An XTR equipped Zaskar. This will happen got the frame. No idea on forks yet though. Maybe some Vector 2's

Marin Mount Vision Pro. Only FS bike I've ridden and liked. I shall be eventually looking for another.

Vitamin T or T2. Used to sit and plan my perfect build. Always with pace forks and Hope wheels.

Had a 96 Iron Horse THS-1 back in 99/00. It was one of the best handling, most fun to ride, do-it-all bikes I ever owned. Don't remember why I sold it (probably to fund something else), but I rued the day ever since.

hf11.jpg

Started looking for another one a few years ago. They were limited production (frames were subcontracted to Foes Racing), and pretty rare. Finally found a 97 frame in great shape from a member here in Cali and jumped on it. Built it up with similar/better bombproof parts like my old one with a few upgrades like my own (designed and fabricated) full floating brake. Ride it all the time, and it's just as much one of the best handling, most fun to ride, do-it-all bikes I remembered.

DSC_0313_zps6423916e.jpg

Photo-bombed, again. Dumbass.

DSC_0316_zpsacf9b854.jpg

When I raced in the 90's I dreamed of owning a Xizang... Now I finally have one and it's everything I thought it would be and more. The one unicorn I never seem to find and would love to rebuild is the DB Axis TT. I raced one in the early 90's with that cool marble paint job on the tail and head tube, decked out with Deore XT, grove hothead bars, first gen grip shift and a tange switchblade. I still have the hotheads but the rest is long gone :(

lots of bikes i'd like to try but not many I want to own

had the pleasure of trying out Uncle Monty's Bow-Ti the other day, ticked that one off the bucket list.

I'm hopefully about to re-united with my first proper MTB (not actual, but same model) and that is definitely one of my "have to haves"

1994 Stumpy in sage green, common in red, hens teeth in green. Did it live up to expectations? Hmm'n it feels special to ride, definately a classy machine but I'm not heavy enough to get the frame to absorb the hammering, I've got more common bikes that I can ride far harder. I still love looking at it though.
Kawasaki KMB450, in metaldust black. Yeah that is a lovely machine and it flies along.

Unicorns I'm looking out for; Orange Roadie-O road bike, did they actually make any or was it just a one off for the catalogue?

Back