Manitou 1 Elastomer full set - WANTED

First of all do you really want to buy 20 year old elastomers, and then expect them to be anything but hardened plastic??? Even if you found some they'd be worthless.

Second, M2 and M1 elastomer stack is virtually identical.

Just buy the new ones from http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/ they work just fine, shipping probably sucks but it's probably the best solution. I just put these into an M1 on Mantis Flying V I'm restoring and it works great.

Actually, they shouldn't be, not if they're new, unused and still in their original packaging. If, however, they were new and open or worse used - I agree that they'd be knackered after all this time.

I suspect that that is where I need to source replacements from - I already knew about the guys in America - referenced in my OP - was just trying to see if there were any genuine ones out there, as unlikely as it is!

Yeah, maybe if they were vacuum sealed and kept in environmentally controlled storage, perhaps they'd be ok. My money is that an original set of elastomers is gonna be crap. I wouldn't waste your time looking for any.

I use Pace ones, slightly shorter, but same internal and external diameters, I mix and match hard soft and medium, as this gives a more progressive travel, sensitive on small bumps, but won't bottom out on the bigger hits. Also 1/2/3/4 are all the same, I have all sets of forks and many of the parts are interchangeable, in most cases. I also have some replacement steel springs that will fit, if you want some?

Hi Wold Ranger, thanks for the reply.

I must admit to being a newbie to front suspension... have always ridden rigid forks since the late 80's, but decided a pair of Manitou 1's would finish off a period project perfectly... having spent months finding a PDF of the original service manual, I can't see how you'd use springs inside these forks? wouldn't they just bounce like hell on springs?

I bought a set of 4's with them already fitted and they have guides built onto the spring ends that fit over the guide rods and plastic mesh around the sides, that keep them straight down the sliders tube. You still use a few elastomers on top, which seem to dampen the rebound. I removed them, as I have a bag full of spare Pace and Manitou elastomers. I thought they would be bouncy too, but they weren't half bad.
I prefer Elastomers to Air/Coil springs, as they are lighter and easier to service, but the problem is the cost of replacing elastomers. The Manitou ones do seem to last very well, compared to other brands though. I think the grease you use is the key, as if you don't use proper synthetic grease, mineral greases degrade the elastomer.

I've heard the exact same about the use of synthetic grease. The problem seems to be actually getting hold of genuine Manitou elastomers which seems to be impossible. The only option seems to be buying a $53 set from the guys in the USA?

No it's mineral greases that are the problem, with Lithium in them, synthetic is Lithium free, Pace, Manitou or Judy Butter is the way to go.
If you can get hold of a set of the older Manitou spiders cheap off Ebay, those Elastomers and spacers are the same and often they have had little use. Just ask if they bounce ok, they often sell very cheaply and if the sliders are rough even cheaper still :)

Back