Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman - which is best?

xerxes":3dcp75vw said:
I've had one of these for years: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-1360 ... d_sim_sg_1, opens all the booze and tins of beans you're ever likely to consume on a camping trip, and the knife blades come in handy on occasion too. :D

I've had a similar one - can't put my finger on it, at the moment, but I think it's this one because I think it has (the utterly pointless) scissors, and serated blade on it. It was a present from my brother, some years back. Out of all my relatives, my brother, over the years, has bought me the most coolest, appreciated, memorable gifts - I can only imagine that's an empathy thing, you know the sort of thing - people buy the type of gifts they'd like to receive.

over the years, has bought me the most coolest, appreciated, memorable gifts

I think my brother is the easiest person to buy gifts for. Most years we buy each other a nice aftershave, which we both appreciate as we like to smell like a couple of tarts when we go out.

Last Christmas was quite funny though, we'd bought each other the exact same aftershave, only he'd bought me be a bigger bottle than I'd bought him - result! :D

Gerber for me, but Leatherman given the choice of those two.

Beware though - if the knife blade locks into position, then regardless of the length it's a designated offensive weapon and you cant carry it in public, not that I think you would at all.

Victorinox swisstool

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-3032 ... +swisstool

used to sell a few of them and never had any issues or return. my manager at the time had the top end Leatherman "wave" and was disappointed with it compared to the Vic. I had (still do) a Gerber 500 which wasn't to bad but the quality and durability of the victorinox wins hands down (err it is a bit heavy though)

Leatherman every time for me; been carrying one for work for years and never considered the legality of it...

...current tool doesn't have a locking blade but some of mine do; locking blade is so much safer!

Ludicrous that knee-jerk reaction laws deprive legitimate carriers of an essential tool whilst the little scrotes everywhere feel no compunction to comply with the Law :x

Same with our pathetic gun regulations; our Olympic shooters have to go abroad to practice while little scrotes in every sizeable urban area in the country have access to a veritable arsenal of Chavvy weaponry and openly post pictures of themselves on bl**dy Facebook et al.

Out walking - opinel in pocket
Fishing - big Swiss army multi bladed jobbie
Bike - alien 2 (has a nasty blade if you need it)
Original mid 90s leatherman- lovely but lives in study in its leather pouch.

I used to buy all my Leatherman multi-tools via ebay and had some real bargains, especially from the States when the exchange rate was better and shipping was not so horrendous...

...now ebay don't allow any listing for anything with a blade!

Oh for the good old days when I bought a Sykes Fairbairn from the Sussex Armoury advert in Exchange & Mart!

Carried that knife half way around the World and back, then kept it my Mum's sewing basket for years; when I asked after it a while ago she said "I didn't like having it in the house so I took it to the Police Station when they had the amnesty on!" Aaaargh! :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back