Would you charge your working child board and lodgings?

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just wondered.

When I was a teen my mum tried to charge me board and lodgings I refused, she had me, why should I start paying her to feed and home me once I'd got a bit of cash.

My son has now reached twenty has a pretty well paid job considering before he signed on the dotted line he had nothing, and he has practically no outgoings except clothes the odd gadget and nights out, plus his Greek holiday at the end of this month. Although he is now more away from home than at it.

Would you people out there charge your children when they are in full time employment to reside in your palace :)

Alison

I would but they are 4 and 8 and I don't want paying in Moshi Monsters.

Think it is only right that they start to pay their way when they can and also helps it to not be as big a shock when they finally fly the coop.

Yep. Fair is fair.

I think once your kids are in a full time job, and old enough to get a place of their own, then they should pay their way if they continue to live at home.

My Mum made me pay board when I lived at home. It was a heck of a lot less than renting a place of my own too!

When I was 25/26 I was living in student accommodation with my then boyfriend, when he finished his degree we had nowhere to go and I was pregnant, planned pregnancy, so my mum offered her granny flat, when we moved in we put our name down for a council property under her advice but thought having a baby with my mother support sounded a good idea. I paid to live there, but there was two of us and 6 months later 3. She did fork out for our wedding though, which must have cost £200, yep we are still cheapskates :D

But I don't feel I can charge my son when he is back home.

Alison

i was told that as soon as i got a job i would have to start paying rent at home and it was expected that once out of education i had to make an effort to get a job, and if the job i wanted wasn't available i had to find anything.

My parents made me pay the same rate as full board in university halls of residence.
Tell him to man up or look for a cheaper alternative if he prefers it.

there is no harm in doing so at all. as said previously, it'll help him learn and understand so once he feels he is outgrowing living with you, he can move out with confidence (and you'll be reassured).
it'll be a lot worse a situation if he doesnt learn, then he leaves for whatever reason, then comes back mounted in debt after being kicked out from his lodgings after not handling his finances... but thats worst case i guess :)

best to sit down, talk about it, explain why its important. if he gets funny about it, dont push him into it, let him think about it, then come to an agreement. either way, he's going to need to learn at some point - and best to learn at the hands of his parents than some c**t landlord who may fleece him :)

Back