Top Gear Is Just Like Cheers!

I particularly like the specials especially the one that visited Uganda. Good entertainment for all my family. We often watch together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 233
But what television is real, it's all fakery, even reality TV is as fake as the "accidental" setting fire to the caravan in TG just to get slightly better than mediocre wine on their tables and call me an ape if you want to, but I'd rather be forced to see 20 hours of TG on a continuous loop than one episode of EastEnders and other such miserable tosh.

Alison

I dont miss the original Top Gear - look, for 1987, Vauxhall have revised the grill on the Cavalier...

zzzz...

I completely agree with Alison and Barneyballbags - Top gear rocks! It makes 5th gear look the boring, amateurish, dull tosh it actually is. Yes alot of it's probably staged but if you love cars and a good laugh it's brill :D.

Always loved top gear and ironically the best top gear ever was when they rode parts asia (was it Thailand?)on motorcycles!

I did watch the new series start on Sunday and at first thought I was watching Dave deja vu. I don't know why but it felt like they had run out of ideas so re hashed many of the old ones. I know some may say they have been doing this for years but for me this time I genuinely felt I could turn the chanel over.

Neil":se0b7ae9 said:
What has become hateful, to me, is that in order to extend their metaphor, and continually up the ante in order to appeal to their demographs of "apes" they feel they have to contnually try and be funny with supposed edgy or controversial humour and antagonistic comments.
.....I think if I have any true dislike, it's based on the squandering of something I used to more fully enjoy, all based on the ever spiralling cold-war of keeping their audience still lapping it up.

Really, personally I think they have toned it down a bit.. especially since the mexican and lorry diver debacles.....
I think a lot of criticism againt the presenters and the programme itself (not here specifically, but in the media, and the wider public, are tinted with more than a slight shade of sour grapes and envy ;)

G

Oh come on, it's all just carefully scripted playground humour...

...Clarkson is the 'School Bully' who gets away with it because he's bigger than everyone else, Hammond is the little 'Sycophant' who laughs at all the bad jokes so that everyone else 'gets it' and by so doing stops them picking on him, and May is the '1 Percentor' who hangs around hoping some of the 'Bully's' cool rubs off on him and is accepted because he does all their homework for them!

That it no longer seems so funny is because A: it has had to be dumbed down for the 'Reality TV' generation (if Clarksons delivery gets any slower even non-English speaking viewers will get bored with him!) and B: the original fans have just grown up!

It's no longer funny because 11 years and 20 Series has gone by and apart from James May replacing Jason Dawe nothing has changed. Even the funniest knock-knock joke will become tiresome after 11 years and 120 're tellings.

When was the roadkill cow on the roof in Florida? That was funny. The bikes in Vietnam? Must be a few years old? Still watchable but can't think of any recent memorable ones.

Back