Sun 'Mist'

Re: Sun 'Misty'

the only place I had a bike stolen from was College Green - I thought it'll be safe there opposite the Royal Hotel on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

wurzelmike":qs7djqpo said:
the only place I had a bike stolen from was College Green - I thought it'll be safe there opposite the Royal Hotel on a sunny Sunday afternoon.
My office is round the back of old market - another good place to lose your bike! Lock mine in the office!

Nice to see someone rescuing something that could have ended up as scrap.Cheap and mass produced in the 60s had a different meaning to cheap and mass produced now so worth saving.Its possible to do a great deal with elbow grease and looking out for parts on Retrobike site - I've just built up an 80s Raleigh frame into a very decent everyday bike for less than 30 quid.Your frame is very much nicer than mine!

Thanks for the comments everyone. So far the bikes' been cleaned, had a little polish with some 'Wilkinson's' home brand 'T-cut' and sprayed a couple of times with clear coat.
It's spent a week having the BB soaked in WD-40 and now just new a new set of bearings before putting things back together.

The - 'just a quick clean-up' never really happened :D

I've just come across my first picture of a Sun Mist, it's on e-bay at the moment but lacks the cool top gear lever and the rack. But seems to be in its original state, and from the same era..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SUN-M ... 2ec8efa342

@ Spokesmann - thanks for the link, I came across your page while a-googling 'Sun Mist' but got kinda jealous by the quality of your frame, a different league from the Mist. We do seem to share the same brakes though, and it appears they were used on the Dawes Galaxy right up until the late '80's. So there's some class in my bike :D

I'll post a couple of pics when things get put back together,

All the best, Mike

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wurzelmike":36bckivw said:
Thanks for the comments everyone. So far the bikes' been cleaned, had a little polish with some 'Wilkinson's' home brand 'T-cut' and sprayed a couple of times with clear coat.
It's spent a week having the BB soaked in WD-40 and now just new a new set of bearings before putting things back together.

The - 'just a quick clean-up' never really happened :D

I've just come across my first picture of a Sun Mist, it's on e-bay at the moment but lacks the cool top gear lever and the rack. But seems to be in its original state, and from the same era..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SUN-M ... 2ec8efa342

@ Spokesmann - thanks for the link, I came across your page while a-googling 'Sun Mist' but got kinda jealous by the quality of your frame, a different league from the Mist. We do seem to share the same brakes though, and it appears they were used on the Dawes Galaxy right up until the late '80's. So there's some class in my bike :D

I'll post a couple of pics when things get put back together,

All the best, Mike

The frame is nice, not mint but presentable, must have looked wonderful back in the day!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

keithglos":1qznjy9o said:
Clearly you have a Raleigh mass produced in the Carlton factory. I didn't know they used standard raleigh fork crown. I would not waste money on it, but it may well be servicable.
I suppose a Carlton lover will appear soon and say its marvellous.
Keith

Suppose that would be me? :|

Latest posts

Back