They say that " A Klein.........

Disco Drive

Senior Retro Guru
"Is the last bike you'll ever own" so why am I on my third? :LOL:
My reasons are simple. I have been working my way up for 22 years by way of a green pinnacle that was way too small for me at the age of 15, onto a HLF MC1 attitude that was again slightly too small at the age of 27.
But now, finally I have an MC1(box fork) Attitude in Dolomite that at 19" fits me perfectly!

I know of a few members on here that have entire collections of Kleins and by golly if I had the funds would surely be joining them!

So, what's your Klein story?

I remember seeing a Gatorfade in Dales in Glasgow and being blown away. Beautiful beautiful bike, lush paint and so clean looking, it was like the future had arrived. I made do with a Cannondale as the price tag then (and now) was beyond my reach. I never did get a proper one though I do have a early trek era Pulse, I still like to cast my eye over any builds, maybe one day I'll spring for one.

I remember seeing a Dolomite Attitude in a bike shop in Livermore, CA. in 1990. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen. It was way out of my price range. I was riding an aluminum Trek at the time. I ended up getting a Mountain Klein frame from Cambria Outfitters via mail order. The color was Ultra Violet and had the chain stays that were all square. I tried to make it into an Attitude. Funk made a box crown fork in 1" steerer, the legs were aluminum and the steerer was titanium. It actually looked pretty cool. However, the first jump I went off, it failed where the steerer and box crown meet. I eventually sold it when I got my Specialized M2 in 1993. The next Klein I picked up was a NOS 1992 Rascal frame in 2008. I eventually got my Dolomite in 2011 and love it. I then got a 1989 backfire Pinnacle and another Rascal in pink for my daughter to ride in the future. I don't see myself getting another Klein, I already have my unicorn.

Would love see some pics of your Klunk (Klein/ Funk hybrid) :LOL:
Looking at your signature ez, we have very similar retro tastes!

Great stories guys.....really takes me back that unique feeling you had when you were stopped in your tracks by how amazing a Klein was in the flesh.

Disco Drive":e93ugkug said:
Would love see some pics of your Klunk (Klein/ Funk hybrid) :LOL:
Looking at your signature ez, we have very similar retro tastes!

Great stories guys.....really takes me back that unique feeling you had when you were stopped in your tracks by how amazing a Klein was in the flesh.

I wish I had some pictures. It actually looked really nice. I also had a black MC1 for the stem/bar. The Funk fork was black too.

Naturally I always sweat over the Adroits and Attitudes when they come up for sale but at the end of the day I'm still chuffed with my Pinnacle after 20 years. It feels so precise in its handling I can literally enjoy riding it in a straight line along a flat bit of tarmac. If I ever had an Adroit sized chunk of spare cash I'd probably just count myself lucky to be a Klein owner, stick with my Pinnacle and treat myself to a bit of exotic Ti. I've not ruled out a Jonrock paintjob one day if I feel it needs a new lease of life though...

The first Klein I ever saw was a Dolomite and I think it was back in 1990 or maybe 1991.

At the time I thought it was vulgar!?!

I was a road racer back then and adored sleek beautiful Italian road racers with hand made Columbus frames and Campagnolo equipment. Compared to them....the Klein looked to big and bulky for me. Didn't even like the paint job.

Later in the mid 90's I was of course caught up in the offroad hype and started working in a great bike shop who sold Fat, Breezer and Litespeed..........and Marin, KHS, Mongoose and more.

Needless to say, I was instantly lost in the great Fat bikes but Breezer also caught my attention....especially because the felt almost as good as the Fat's when you rode them.

But that was all forgotten when I tried my first Klein. It was actually my friends Adroit........and after that I was determined to get a Klein for my self one day. The "magic" you feel when you ride them is unexplainable.

It did however take more time than I thought before I could acquire one for myself. It didn't happen until last year when I finally found an Attitude for sale. An almost unused 95 MC2 Painted Desert in L size. A beautiful bike.

....and now I recently bought an XL Sunburst from 92/93 that will be coming from Seattle over the summer.

I guess I am lost now in these beautiful pieces of art............and I don't think there will ever be made bikes better than these ever again.

I've always hesitated pulling the trigger on a Klein when one comes up for sale locally... Then I regret missing it. I think they are rolling art - just beautiful bikes - but I worry about the ride. After spending a short time on a Zaskar in the mid 90's I swore off of aluminum and gravitated toward the ride of titanium. Do you guys love these strictly for the look or do they really ride that nice?

nbl78s":1bs8gm9z said:
I've always hesitated pulling the trigger on a Klein when one comes up for sale locally... Then I regret missing it. I think they are rolling art - just beautiful bikes - but I worry about the ride. After spending a short time on a Zaskar in the mid 90's I swore off of aluminum and gravitated toward the ride of titanium. Do you guys love these strictly for the look or do they really ride that nice?

There are differences in between aluminum frames. A Klein feels very different from a Cannondale. Being a bigger guy, I loved the stiffness of the Klein frame, but never felt it was a harsh ride.

Back