Any odd questions?

Rustyretro":1i2rnq84 said:
Robbied196":1i2rnq84 said:
Why are the brakes reversed on European bikes, so left is front and right is rear? It seems natural to have the right hand for the front brake whatever side of the road you are on. Do left handed people reverse their brakes?

I was told as a kid that this was because you're hand should be free to signal to turn right in the UK and left in Europe, which is the most dangerous manoeuvre. This allows the other hand to use the rear brake, which keeps the bike more stable than the front brake (although less powerful) while the signalling hand is off the bars.

I've not heard that before but it does make sense :)

Next question.

So if we have lights and bells, why don't we have indicators on bikes?

So if we have lights and bells, why don't we have indicators on bikes?

I have seen them before. Most of them seem to be integrated into a rear light unit, but because this is a small unit in the centre of the bike it seems like the indicator function might be a bit ineffective (difficult for a driver to tell a left light from right when the lights are only 2cm apart). It would be much more effective to have those indicators as separate lights mounted on stalks (just like a motorbike) but that of course, for obvious reasons, would never catch on!

N

torqueless":u35v10v7 said:
What is the default position of a door? Closed, open, or ajar? And if ajar, by how much?
At exactly what point does 'ajar' become 'open' ?

When you take the lid off.

Back