Personal Unicorn bikes (What's yours?)

I own and have ridden just about every unicorn bike from both my childhood and more recent as I learn more about these great classics.

There are a few on my list that have yet to be realized, but its only a matter of time.

Roberts Dogs BOLX
any late 80's early 90's Ritchey
Kona Misser Replica
Scott 1992/1993 Team or Pro Racing
Scott 1999 DH Octane

the one I could probably never afford

and the more realistic one. this was up on ebay only last week and I fell in love with it. But whatever happens I will own another marin

Attachments

• Pine F.R.S.jpg
    Pine F.R.S.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 337
  • muirwoods.JPG
    muirwoods.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 337
1992 Diamond Back Axis 'XT' Was my first proper MTB and was loved, ridden up until 1998 when it was stolen from my locked garden shed. Insurance coughed up and replaced it with a Kona Cindercone. Finally took till last year (2012) to track one down albeit Frame & Forks, have now sourced correct Avenir Bars, Tioga Stem, and XT Groupset and even got some extra long Diamond Back Grips for the Brahma Bars. Will be difficult to source the wheels but i will be happy riding it again with some alternatives until some original ones turn up.

I still have the Touch up paint albeit a little dry in the Man Cave from my original Axis.

It will always be a special bike to me and therefore this is my Unicorn :D

Attachments

• 1992 Axis XT.JPG
    1992 Axis XT.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 314
Jussa":1lqsx1un said:
1992 Diamond Back Axis 'XT' Was my first proper MTB and was loved, ridden up until 1998 when it was stolen from my locked garden shed. Insurance coughed up and replaced it with a Kona Cindercone. Finally took till last year (2012) to track one down albeit Frame & Forks, have now sourced correct Avenir Bars, Tioga Stem, and XT Groupset and even got some extra long Diamond Back Grips for the Brahma Bars. Will be difficult to source the wheels but i will be happy riding it again with some alternatives until some original ones turn up.

I still have the Touch up paint albeit a little dry in the Man Cave from my original Axis.

It will always be a special bike to me and therefore this is my Unicorn :D

I've got one one, and a 91 Axis, too.

Had my 91 Apex stolen in 95, now have one again that's in really nice condition, bought from a member on here, and although a size bigger than the one I had, it's still very nice to be able to reacquire what was lost - wheels have been tricky, since I've got 3 bikes that use those rims. I've got 4 all built and nice, and 2 of the rims that are either well worn, or well taco'd, so I have to compromise, really, and either reuse a pair when I want to use one of the other 91 or 92 models, or use a different set of wheels - which is what I'll be doing on a permanent basis - since I have wheels either built or allocated for all my bikes, but still, at times, still run the catalogue spec wheels on one of the 91 / 91 bikes at times.

I've got a lot of the correct finishing kit, too, and although I may have run different stems BITD, I've got 2 or 3 stock stems, which tend to be ideal as it includes a canti hanger, my 91 Axis is currently aheadset, though, but I think I've got a NOS period threaded headset to use, and although I don't have the stock forks for that particular frame (it currently runs some P2s) I've got a spare 91 Apex fork, which should be perfect - might even live with the black frame and red fork (those sorts of colour contrasts were used by other brands, BITD, don't think it would look that horrid) - because even if I had them repainted in black, I doubt I'd realistically be able to get the white splatter right - and the red forks have a black "tiger" stripe on them.

A Funk e-stay in pearl fluorescent pink. I had a poster of one on my wall in 1990-ish (?).

In the vein of replacing bikes that got nicked, I'd like a 1989 CR7 with a load of upgrades - Manitou forks, ATAC stem, Cook Bros cranks and purple bolts all over the place. Stolen from out the back of my parents' house in the summer of '94. Stolen to order I guess, whoever took it ignored at least half a dozen other bikes that were there at the same time.

I don't know, I haven't had it built yet. :D

In my teens, when I first got into road cycling, belonged to a club and did a bit of time trailing, there weren't super expensive "off the peg" bikes and the riders that could afford it often had something custom made out of one of the better Columbus or Reynolds tube sets and then built it up with top end Campagnolo components. At the time, Suntour and Shimano were seen as budget options for those that couldn't afford Campagnolo.

I still think it would be nice to have something custom made.

pace rc100
pace rc200 ( had 2 now )
trek 9000/9500 ( had one)
merlin ti
tomacs 93 team Raleigh
gt rts1
nic v's gt lts
kona ti hei hei
saracen kili ultra ( had a comp, nearly as good lol)

modern..........errrr dont have one :D

Orange Vit T. Finally owned one and built it up with "sensible" componentry, then broke the frame twice. Thus proving that me and Ti bikes don't mix.

Back