1991 Yeti C-26 (a true barn find)

IRIX":y1inz4ri said:
rumpfy":y1inz4ri said:
24pouces":y1inz4ri said:
What a nice paint job ! Hard to find neon color
powder coated or classic paint ?

My local PC shop did the work. Basically only one version of 'fluorescent'. White base with the neon yellow and it matches right up! I gave them the RAL code anyway, but they were confident they'd get it right.
What was the RAL code? This is exactly the color I want my frame coated with! :D

There kinda isn't one. In all my research, no one was able to give me an exact RAL code. I had a stem that was already fluorescent yellow and told them to match it.
The powder coating shop I used said there was only one fluorescent yellow. Its a white base with the bright yellow...and it came out spot on!
I imagine your local PC shop will say something similar.

Quite probably RAL 1026 Luminous Yellow, though, if you had to put a RAL code to it. Although its all subjective given camera, lighting etc, I think RAL 1026 is ever so slightly greener. Won't matter if you're not matching it to something.

Smithjss70":7hd5agzx said:
Cool build. A few things look out of sorts to me. A bit of a mood ring.

Like what? I'm curious to see if its something I'm aware of or not.

Edit: As far as I know, its an (original) Yeti stem. Technically not an FTW if we want to be accurate with what we're calling it.

rumpfy":4g5ey71o said:
Smithjss70":4g5ey71o said:
Cool build. A few things look out of sorts to me. A bit of a mood ring.

Like what? I'm curious to see if its something I'm aware of or not.

Edit: As far as I know, its an (original) Yeti stem. Technically not an FTW if we want to be accurate with what we're calling it.

I may be thinking of a different stem. Here we go. This was a prototype which probably resulted into your stem. Similar design but unique enough to jog my memory bank. I lusted after those bikes in a big way. Congrats. Well executed. What BB are you using?

Attachments

• proto2.jpg
    proto2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 584
Smithjss70":vg5eq9po said:
I may be thinking of a different stem. Here we go. This was a prototype which probably resulted into your stem.

Not a completely unfair statement. This is the story told to me -

Between 86 and 89, Yeti wanted to offer framesets available with forks and stems, so they bought stems through Cook Bros. They in 89 they switched to the Evolution headset and CB didn't want to make a stem in that size.

Meanwhile, Frank was experimenting with and ultimately marketing products made from aluminum, including an alloy stem. I've heard the term "FTW Victory" stem but I'm not sure from where that came. Anyway, when Cook Bros said no to 1.25" stems, Yeti just decided to make their own and used FTW's stem design and simply made them out of steel. A legit "FTW Stem" would be an FTW product and thus made out of aluminum. The steel version would just be a Yeti stem.

Back