Campagnolo 50th group

£395 - all relative 30 years on.

The ICS set - nein danka.

Others on ebay at at the moment - full groupsets - one at £1200, one at £3200 with 5 days left and lots of bidding activity so i'd say it's accrued value if it hasn't been used - it's the used stuff at daft money that I don't understand - it's used yet NOS prices. Not a chance, i'll bide my time and see where it gets me.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bill ... -1900.html

£400 in 1982 is worth about £1200 today, so appreciated. Good investment for some old tat.....£400 sounds low though.

That gold gruppo is frankly an eye sore in the box. A box of Lindt chocolate liquors is visually the same, but far more enjoyable to consume. I'm sure it would look infinitely more dreadful on a bike; something akin to a traveling jewelry section from the Argos catalogue. I would choose a Shimano LX M560 gruppo over that any day even if money was no object. Each to his own and all that, but why buy this BITD when about the same time Campagnolo had the gorgeous aero stuff just happening - simply ooozing with refined Italian style, lovingly machined on 3 phase laths and pillar drills by real men smoking and drinking Grappa glad in oily blue overalls, and then smoothed and polished in the Vatican city by cherubs licking them - not forgetting of course then raced by the gods like Hinault!

Showcase components are only a good idea if you buy them cheap and restore them... or in other words if you have loads of spares and a professional polishing machine. Otherwise they are not viable under any circumstance... they are either in a bad state, hence not worth much as showcase components or they are in a very good state, very expensive and you will end up keeping them in the garage the all time, worried about scratching them.
They are of course not better than the groupsets they are inspired from, if anything they are worse

Citoyen du monde made a good point. If you can search for a complete bike, strip the parts you need and sell whats left its probably going to be the most cost effective way of getting your group.

If you can find a bike! :)

Robbied196":3v26f98n said:
Citoyen du monde made a good point. If you can search for a complete bike, strip the parts you need and sell whats left its probably going to be the most cost effective way of getting your group.

If you can find a bike! :)

Totally agree - check this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olmo-Speedy-G ... 3f26a6568d

Not sure if my eyes or mind have gone west but where on that gruppo is there any 50th edition stuff??

ugo.santalucia makes a valid point - too many people store this stuff away so it doesnt get spoiled, i'm hoping to find middle of the pack stuff that is cosmetically reasonable, works fine and a fettle and polish will bring it back to life.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
FINNEY1973":119d3e4s said:
Totally agree - check this one - Not sure if my eyes or mind have gone west but where on that gruppo is there any 50th edition stuff??
Derrr! The Olmo bike itself is the 50th job and not the equipment :facepalm:

I'll get my coat and borrow it you matey :LOL:

Got a wardrobe of them coats already Ian!! You see, I didn't even look at the frame, I was simply blinded by the words 50th & campagnolo in the title - it's easily done!

There is a number of "professionals" who buy this stuff cheap and sell it as NOS or as new after careful polishing and servicing where needed. I met one at the Retroronde and had a chat... they do all sorts of things... and once they have finished you can't distinguish it from a brand new component. I don't want to judge whether it is immoral or it is actually a good thing to restore components instead of having them rusting in a shed, but the fact is they won't let you buy anything cheap, as they have eyes everywhere and even the dullest Campagnolo SR part will go for a lot of money, as they can then sell it for three times that.
Have you ever wondered where all this NOS shiny stuff comes from? Is there really so much unsold stock in old bicycle shops? Can you name a shop that has one single unsold Super Record part from the 1980s?

ugo.santalucia":2nh16nyo said:
There is a number of "professionals" who buy this stuff cheap and sell it as NOS or as new after careful polishing and servicing where needed. I met one at the Retroronde and had a chat... they do all sorts of things... and once they have finished you can't distinguish it from a brand new component. I don't want to judge whether it is immoral or it is actually a good thing to restore components instead of having them rusting in a shed, but the fact is they won't let you buy anything cheap, as they have eyes everywhere and even the dullest Campagnolo SR part will go for a lot of money, as they can then sell it for three times that.
Have you ever wondered where all this NOS shiny stuff comes from? Is there really so much unsold stock in old bicycle shops? Can you name a shop that has one single unsold Super Record part from the 1980s?

Totally agree, and fair play to these people for restoring parts - not right to sell as NOS and no there's not a plethora of unsold parts out there that are suddenly discovered and offered to market. Luckily i'm not in the market for this NOS stuff, i'm happy to clean & polish to a decent standard for my own satisfaction. If people want to buy at daft prices, good luck to them, but i'll go back to my original question which was about a realistic price to get one of these groups together. The "2K still in a box" stuff doesn't interest me as I can't afford nor justify it. Steady priced stuff that has a mark up because it's 50th group is fair enough, but as you correctly state the 3x mark up which is a completely different ball game. I won't be buying anything that has that kind of pure profit added to it.

ugo.santalucia":159rh2ry said:
Can you name a shop that has one single unsold Super Record part from the 1980s?
I can! Edison Cycles in Clowne!!! He sold me a nos 42th inner chain ring not long ago and he has recently sold a nos SR rear mech' :shock:

God knows what else he has in this old bike shop!!!

Back