My mother-inlaw wants a retro bike, what should i get her?

Re: My mother-inlaw wants a retro bike, what should i get he

I only looked in to do mum-in-law jokes, but I reckon Raging_Bull nailed it! :LOL:

It may come as a great shock to some, but people over 50 are still capable of riding bikes and don't yet need confining to an OAP's home with a bowl of baby food and a plastic mug of warm sweet tea!

As the father of an active female retro rider and the husband of an occasional retro rider, I would suggest an Orange C16R, or P7, as they are light, tough and nimble. They are also plentiful and cheap to build.

As for modern running gear, I am a fan of SRAM and have both 3 x 9 and 2 x 10 set ups on my retro bikes; X5 and X7 are easy and cheap to come by, yet are light enough and tough enough to get the job done.

Mother In-Law :) So it really is a million dollar Question, after all you must remain in her good books ;)

I built my wife her first Retro ride based on a nice Muddy Fox Alu Sport (Ok not high end) but she could add her little touches and help with the evolution of the build. And i know the saddle is like a Zeppelin but its a Muddy Fox saddle, and is comfy for her and was purchased by the wife (Its her bike, she rides it so she needs to be happy with it) STX-RC groupset nice and light, and all came in under £100 even with the forks purchase.

£400 should get you something special indeed, but i would seek her input and let her become creative, there is a tendancy to build how we like a bike to be, not how our wives, girlfriends and mother-in-laws would really like (Hence the purple on Lauras Muddy Fox, Her idea, not mine, I actually dont like Purple Ano that much)

Attachments

• Foxy%20Update1.jpg
    Foxy%20Update1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 343

I know the feeling, im currently building my wife a bike as well, thats how my mother inlaw got interested.

For the misses Im building an 1992 Iboc Team with Manitou 2´s getting it powder coated in Candy purple with custom decals with her name and race number. (its the one with a triangular top tube)
The adding anodized pink stuff on it...

ill get my mother-inlaw over for coffee and discuss what she's looking for in a bike.

Is top tube length really such a problem? A lot of 90's bikes assumed the use of very long stems; you should be able to trim 4 or 5 cm off.

Lightweight instantly says "Zaskar" but Z's with female friendly stand-over seem much harder to find.

I'd strongly suggest considering Mary Bars. Much more ergonomic, and the further you get past 30 the more this counts.

Or Fleagles as a halfway house, big fan of some sweep on a flat bar. Salsa ProMoto/MotoAce come in a very wrist friendly 17' sweep that I love :cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something with clipless pedals and then send her riding by the canal.

(This post is dedicated to Les Dawson)

The History Man":6uudqwsc said:
Something with clipless pedals and then send her riding by the canal.

(This post is dedicated to Les Dawson)

You hum it, I'll play it - also in the style of, and in tribute to Les.

We_are_Stevo":2i6tqhlh said:
Can heartily recommend the Mary Bar, and at this price...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEEL-BLACK-2 ... 2c6d7be487

...are a bit of a steal :cool:

Pictured in situ in my 'Current project' link below.

One-On are selling all their own design bars at half price too.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back