1994 Yeti ARC AS

Hi,

Please see her when she is not all made up.

This is the daily rider outfit -- repro O2 saddle, XTR post, and XTR cranks that I hand polished, as well as M900 shifter pods (which work better than thumbshifters with M900 mechs). Overall, it is tamed down alot without the shiny blue graftons, but still maintains some coolness factor.

I also have turquoise super bubba and 217 sunset rims that look really sharp when I don't want to use the HEDs.

I wish I had more of a build thread for you all... It took two years to make -- trying to source and refinish parts everyday and was a labor of love.

If it looks like it has been seen before, in a way it has. Inspired by Mike's ARC, I tried to replicate a team bike dual suspension. I thought -- how can I replicate the beauty that Mike created and still differentiate it? To achieve that end (first of all I went rear suspension), I painted the rear turquoise, the wheels yellow, and put that single turquoise rim sticker to give it a little panache.

It is completely over the top for my taste, but that's what made these bikes what they were!! And this was the bike I always wanted. Despite all the frustration, time, and money, it was totally worth it in the end!!

Attachments

• 1994 ARC AS.jpg
    1994 ARC AS.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 883
Many an hour just staring at this bike, trying to envision the end product!!

Attachments

• Yeti ARC AS built.jpg
    Yeti ARC AS built.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 881
Took years to get all the grafton and ringle parts found, finished, and assembled! You know who you are who helped make it happen. BIG thank you to you!

Attachments

• Blue Candy.jpg
    Blue Candy.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 879
There she is as she was getting built, with the original paint. The rear triangle is not shown, but it was yellow.

Paint was always in very good condition, but just wanted to get her perfect and have the chain suck erased. The bike was never abused.

You can see the sunset 217 and super bubba hubs, sexy wheels for sure -- but I had HEDs in 1995 on my ARC hardtail, and you better believe I was going to have them again in 2013!

Attachments

• Living in the garage.jpg
    Living in the garage.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 873
Folks just starting out on your first major restoration ... get ready for some serious hours trying to line up decals just right!

Especially if you are building a Yeti with HEDs, there are SO many long, large decals to place perfectly accurately.

Wise man told me: "Yeti couldn't put them on straight 20 years ago, don't worry, you are doing fine!"

I think it turned out ok, but there isn't much margin for error.

Attachments

• An exercise in tedium.jpg
    An exercise in tedium.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 871
And after two years of work, I found myself with the opportunity to shoot this in a studio!

I wanted to memorialize the project with some nice photos, and I love photography, but I had to take photos for work and had a coupon so along came the ARC AS (and the FRO).

Here are a few glamor shots for those looking to build a team-inspired bike.

Thank you again everyone, this was a real personal journey for me and I really enjoyed building her.

Now to try doing an Ultimate!

Attachments

• Yeti Studio 1.jpg
    Yeti Studio 1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 812
Rear wheel detail.

Please forgive the modern chain guard -- i got it for like $2 and couldn't resist using it on the build. I do have a Lizard Skin kicking around as well. ;)

Attachments

• Yeti Studio 2.jpg
    Yeti Studio 2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 830
Some more detail of the front end. An unapologetically loud bike!

Attachments

• Yeti Studio 3.jpg
    Yeti Studio 3.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 831
Please feel free to re-post these images anywhere they may be of value. Thank you again! It's been a lot of fun and a dream come true.

Back