My mother-inlaw wants a retro bike, what should i get her?

IRIX

Retro Guru
Topic says all..
She's very active, goes hiking like a maniac and looks 35 when she's actually 50.
Now she asked me to put together a retrobike for her...

Im thinking something light.

Discuss and input is welcome :)

Re: My mother-inlaw wants a retro bike, what should i get he

Assumng something not too exotic, steel, and fairly conservative i would shout, Orange prestige, or stumpy

Doubt she wants to spend too much, again massive presumption but assume it won't be used for black runs at Afan etc so go for something mid range and rigid, like a rockhopper in my Sig. Or marins/Saracens always deliver for the bucks and are readily available in wide range of sizes.

Do you two get along? We need to know if it's supposed to have decent brakes or not.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raging_Bulls":3q5b6zo0 said:
Do you two get along? We need to know if it's supposed to have decent brakes or not.

:LOL:

Raging_Bulls":2rvxxp0t said:
I laughed so hard soda came out my nose...

but yes, my mother inlaw is great.

The reason she wants a retrobike is to get a good lightweight bike thats good for touring (shes not going into downhill) and is cheaper than a modern bike, (modern bikes are crazy expensive in iceland.. lowest prices are 1000 quid and top prices are 10.000 quid

I told her we could build a decent bike for 400 quid, so lightweight alu frame, decent forks and modern groupset, im thinking alvio

Shes about 165cm tall so a small frame id say would suit.
Id be interested in a unidentified karma frames as long as they are aluminium and pretty light :)

If you want something good for touring, I'd look for something rigid and steel. A lot of aluminium frames don't have rack mounts, also, you've no worries about cracks with steel frames, whereas some early aluminium frames had some issues.

Women generally have longer legs and a shorter back than a man of the same height, so Orange might not be a bad brand for a female rider, they generally had a shorter top tube for a given seat tube height than some other brands like Marin and Kona.

There are always plenty of Oranges cropping up on Ebay and there's a few small framed ones at the moment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orange-C16-Mo ... 35c8feb259

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/orange-p7-f7- ... 5d40c37343

Although it looks like the P7 doesn't have rack mounts or mudguard eyes, so maybe not a good choice.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For £400 forget Alivio, you'll be able to build/find something really good quality on here for her! My tourer is a steel Mongoose with eyelets and bosses everywhere, full DX, Sun Rhyno Lites and Salsa finishing kit - owes me well under £200.

Talk through what she needs it to do with her, if she'd prefer suspension or the lighter weight/zero hassle of rigids, how aggressive a position and how fun/twitchy/stable she'd like it to be. Hopefully that should point you in the right direction!

Back