Retrobike Touring.

Re: Retro MTB Touring.

Great pics and thread. Camping food (as per pics in thread) always looks like dog vomit but invariably tastes ace. Beer on the other hand is highly photogenic (also see pics) and tastes fine too. Lesson - bike, eat and drink outdoors.

For any weight weenies or if you are touring where camp sites are hard to find then goretex bivvies are splendid, if not in the same league as beer. Very light. Crawl in, curl up nice, snug wherever. You can get away with a lighter sleeping bag too as air (insulator) gets trapped between bivvy and bag. Have had some great kips in odd spots in mine. Top kit for a night or two.

Nothing to say, other than to suggest that there's probably more than me just reading and bookmarking this thread as enjoyable and useful info for future reference.

Well I've only read page 5 (the last ride to Hornsea)

Looks like a nice couple of days out.
Now get a route planned using the 'Moors to Sea' routes. Step it up a gear and get off the TPT superhighway ;-)

FluffyChicken":3oxo3w11 said:
Well I've only read page 5 (the last ride to Hornsea)

Looks like a nice couple of days out.
Now get a route planned using the 'Moors to Sea' routes. Step it up a gear and get off the TPT superhighway ;-)

I will when I get my equipment tuned.

Looks good to me: http://www.moortoseacycle.net/index.php

I'd also like some others to become involved. Nigel is up for a few rides and has completed two so far. SLMRacing is game as is Jez, come on you lot, put your names up for a ride and I'll work on something worth while.

(Points at Ben)

P.S. If anyone is short on kit let me know, I have spare sleeping mats, stoves, mess tins and things like that, I'll gladly loan them out for the duration of the mini tour's. :)

Well, I'm off again, this time going on my own up to a little place near York:

Moor End Farm
Acaster Malbis
York
North Yorkshire
United Kingdom
YO23 2UQ
moorendfarm@acaster99.fsnet.co.uk
Roger or Dawn Hall on 01904 706 727
Mobile 07860 405 872.
http://www.moor-end-farm.co.uk/

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=YO23+2 ... CAoQ_AUoAg

I'm setting off in half an hour and following, again, the Trans Pennine Trail. I'll let you all know I get on. No pictures this time as my camera has broken, annoying really as I have some pictures on it for a few guys on here.

TTFN

Hi All

Yet another tedious yarn from me about messing about in a tent.

Short and sweet as usual. I learnt a few valuable lessons this weekend, due to the fact that a few things went horribly wrong hehe.

The ride overall was tedious and boring, the Northern section of the Trans Pennine Trail seems to be 80% road work. I nearly died of boredom on several occasions.

I used a pair of original and 'Retro' Specialized Hardpack 1.5" tyres. All was fine until I flirted and I mean flirted with the edge of a concrete canal side. It blew a great hole in the side of the tyre. I has to call 'Her Indoors' and ask for her to bring me a new set of tyres, the old ones have gone in the bin.

The campsite was great, faultless in fact. I can't say a bad word about it and would go again without question.

So, lessons learnt before I show you a few pictures:

1. The northern section of the Trans Pennine Trail is not for anyone who likes hills or off road riding. Beautiful countryside but I'll not be riding it again. If I were to go camping with the family in order to have access to York and surrounding area I would happily drive.

2. Retro tyres are for garage queens and should never, I repeat NEVER be relied upon when touring. Retro bike for me, not Retro tyres.

3. In certain circumstances, hot weather being one, it's worth paying £15 for a nights tent pitch in order to get hot water, showers, clean and well maintained toilets, tumble dryer and washing machine. I don't mind roughing it but sometimes you need something more.

4. There is nothing wrong with having dried Pasta and Sauce with a tin of John West Smoked Oysters thrown in it for breakfast.

5. If you camp alone take a book.

6. Use open pedals if you can. I had a few near misses today which, from my experience, would have seen me fall if I had been using my SPD's or toe clips and straps. I have been using large open bear traps with either my Salomon Soft walking boots or my Saucony running shoes.

Now some pics:

IMAG1007_zpse060710b.jpg

IMAG1008_zpscacd0f34.jpg

IMAG1009_zps88bf6ddd.jpg

IMAG1010_zps13934bd3.jpg

IMAG1011_zps4c8cd1d0.jpg

IMAG1012_zps1294e180.jpg

IMAG1013_zpsd1f32fcf.jpg

Strava routes.

Day 1 on the way there: http://app.strava.com/activities/66763196

Day 2 on the way back: http://app.strava.com/activities/66988559

The next ride will be rough. 25-30 miles out, 25-30 miles back. Heavy terrain, 100% off road if possible and probably based in the Peak district. Maybe the North Yorkshire Moors. Hills and single track will be the order of the day, I'll be testing the current kit in more extreme circumstances. Let's see how the old bike and hardware stands up the the challenge, better than the rider I'll wager.

Does anyone have the route plan of last years Peak District National Ride.

If anyone wants to join in let me know.

I'll keep you posted.

Trebz":2oavnva0 said:
I learnt a few valuable lessons this weekend, due to the fact that a few things went horribly wrong hehe.

Adverture doesn't start until things go wrong

Route plan is on either Google maps or bing maps (or I gps logged it I think)
It's not the most interesting route or the comfiest route. But it is a good day out.

You could ride to Cut Gate for a warm up, head over it to Ladybower and camp there if there is a site, or just in the woods. then ride up and over to edale, up the other side and around and find some way back.

Chris knows a lot about blown old tyres.
Get yourself a large wrap of gaffer tape, not only can you fix tyres with it to keep you going, it comes in useful for all sorts. Wrap loads around your pump shaft apparently.

Trebz":1zv158k4 said:
Yet another tedious yarn from me about messing about in a tent.

Not at all - I love following these sorts of threads. This is the good stuff you get from forums.

Even if I may not easily be able to fit such things in at this point in my life, I'd maybe like to at some point, and it all goes into the noggin' as inspiration and useful tips / gotchas.

Back