Y2K Kona Nunu

markwashington

Senior Retro Guru
Usually I wouldn't touch a Y2K Kona with a barge pole (in protest for the Explosif not being steel that year) but when I saw this on Ebay, I figured it was worth a punt, especially as it only had about an hour to go and no bids. Anyway, here is the auction which I won:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kona-mountain ... true&rt=nc

I've got to say I rarely bag a bargain on Ebay but I was pretty sure that at £36 this would turn out to be one. I drove over to Kent today and picked it up. I've just got back home (I reckon it cost me about £30 in fuel) and the pics show how it currently stands.

The spec highlights are:

Marzocchi Dirt Jumper forks, not sure what year/model but are disc only.
Rear Mavic D521 on Deore hub, runs true.
Kona stem and seatpost both in pretty good condition.
STXRC Shifters (work well and still indexed).
Deore rear mech in good condition.
Frame has some scratches, but no dents or cracks that I've seen so far.
It's a 19 inch, not an 18 inch!

Downsides are:

No front brake.
Rusted chain.
Alivio front mech.
Awful Halfords Bike Hut brake levers.
Terrible no brand front wheel.
Pedals are stuck (but I'll sort this out tomorrow).

My initial plan was to flip this straight away, but I've been hankering after an aluminium Kona so I'm going to build it up fairly quickly (different forks, fit a front brake, sort the chain, give it a good clean, change the brake levers and handlebar) and then ride it over the summer. My brother is coming to visit for the whole of August so he can use it while he's back.

Attachments

• IMAG0420.jpg
    IMAG0420.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,166
  • IMAG0422.jpg
    IMAG0422.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 1,166
  • IMAG0421.jpg
    IMAG0421.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 1,166
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I like them. They go cheap like you say. I would change as you say but if keeping longer term change forks as well. Those weigh a lot!

I'll be changing the forks tomorrow, I've got a set of Z2's or some Judys which are both red, so should match the frame. I think I'll leave the gears alone purely because they work. I've just found a matching tyre for the front one, so the D521 will go on my pub bike (Lavadome) and the F519 will go on the Nunu. I reckon I should have it pretty much sorted by Thursday/Friday ready for a ride at the weekend.

I've got a 521 on Deore QR disc hub for sale if you're looking for a front wheel to make a set with your rear 521?

I've taken ages updating this thread, despite sorting the bike ages ago.

I've swapped the forks for some Judys, I've fitted Avid brake levers (although still no front brake as I can't find the Avid brake I know I have somewhere.) The Kona stem and bars have been replaced with Bontrager ones. Ive also put on the seat and seatpost from my other Kona, I've had these for years so always just bung it on whatever bike I'm riding. Finally I swapped the front wheel, it's still a bit crap but it's better than before. I've got to say I'm very impressed so far. It rides nicely and doesn't weigh too much. A bargain at £36!

Attachments

• IMAG0444.jpg
    IMAG0444.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 973
  • IMAG0445.jpg
    IMAG0445.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 973
Back