Kona's page

GeneralOsik":1f1gqqr6 said:
I just picked up this beautiful 1996 Kona Hahanna. I am blaming this thread and 50 pages of stunning bikes for the loss of $100 USD and the acquisition of my new bike, Hannah. Thanks a lot! :x ;)

After cleaning her and swapping parts, the only parts that aren't original are the tires (pulled from my old Gary Fisher), the saddle (old Velo Gelite I had laying around), the water bottle cage, the grips (also pulled from my Gary Fisher), and the bell. Everything else is original to the bike, even the break pads (yes I checked; they haven't hardened yet).

I responded to a Craigslist ad this past Sunday at 10:30 at night and set up an appointment for the following day. Then I read all 50 pages of this thread and got really excited about my find. Roughly two days later, she has a new owner and has been cleaned up. I took her to my LBS and they thought that it looked newer than the new bikes there. She has less than 50 miles on her and only had a bit of WD-40 on her drivetrain.

Before:

GDCIsoS.jpg

iFL9yFP.jpg

zcbALh4.jpg

8gajS5K.jpg

MXqIfxH.jpg

EPNuB7E.jpg

oMXrd7r.jpg

After:

9peVCDS.jpg

JPHzHKY.jpg

8fHVYSr.jpg

wX0syaQ.jpg

Fr4dnFP.jpg

oBRzX4H.jpg

7en1o90.jpg

Bonus: Can you tell which two Konas are in the bike shop window?

I already have great plans for her. First priority is to get a new saddle and seat post. Then I'm going to slowly upgrade most of the other components. I'm thinking baby blue (to match the Kona logo) and orange parts. Please, if you know of any quality parts that are either of these colors, let me know!

Well, Kona heads, what do you think?

Bud.. Thats a lovely hahanna in great condition .. You mention about the "Kona's" in the shop window . I can see down decal from 1995 era.. But it looks like a 29 er.. Can you tell me more

Ernie ;)

Hey Ernie!

I have some new pictures!

k3pUyvP.jpg

Qgshr7gh.jpg

t75QCMb.jpg

I've set her up as my commuter. I've put almost 500 miles on her since I got her!
I've added a rack and I have some new lights, but this is the most recent picture of her.

It's a Kona Unit 29er singlespeed. I love their choice in decals. '94 - '96 is my favorite era for Konas.

It's either a '97 or '98. I think it's a '97, because the decals don't look quite right to be a '98. It's very clean, and it has a nice hodge podge of parts. I especially like the thumbies.

Is that a Salsa decal on the seat tube?

I don't think it's a Kona. The frame doesn't look right to me. The seat stays appear from the picture to be wavy whereas Kona seat stays (certainly 1996-99) are straight on the steel frames. I think it's a Voodoo that's been re-stickered or something else. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will know for sure, but it might be worth posting some pics up on the main forum.

markwashington":32ow1hyz said:
I don't think it's a Kona. The frame doesn't look right to me. The seat stays appear from the picture to be wavy whereas Kona seat stays (certainly 1996-99) are straight on the steel frames. I think it's a Voodoo that's been re-stickered or something else. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will know for sure, but it might be worth posting some pics up on the main forum.

Agreed. I'm no expert, particularly on the later Kona's but I thought all the seat stays were straight too. I don't recognise the diamond shape around the bottle bosses either. I think there would be rack mounts on the seat stays too.

It looks familiar though. Can't help thinking I've seen it recently somewhere (not last week on ebay though)

This was outed on the ebay page and the general consensus was the same: it's almost certainly not a Kona. Thats no bad thing if it's something nice like a Voodoo.

I have a feeling it might have been for sale on ebay a few months while ago, possibly without the Kona decals. I seem to remember something like that in the ebay outing thread with discussions possibly pointing towards a generic frame (not meaning bad) sold and rebranded.

Latest posts

Back