Campagnolo 50th group

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Would like to tap into peoples experience of putting one of these groups together from a money point of view. How much (realistically) is one going to cost to assemble from ebay etc etc. Can't afford to buy one of the pristine still in a box 2 grand jobs, but just nice condition individual components as & when they come up at not stupid prices.

Are we talking £700 / £1500 / more / somewhere inbetween? I appreciate that it can be a money no object scenario given some of the BIN prices but i've seen a few bits going for fair prices recently as people perhaps sell stuff as the 80th group garners it's own publicity...

cheers for any input on this one....

I have had a number of bikes pass through my hands with 50th anniversary gruppi. I don't think that I ever paid more than the equivalent of £700 for the whole bike, but then they were all well-used... Each time I purchased the bike I bought it with the idea of keeping the bike and each time I ended up selling it because the whole Idea of showcase components simply doesn't hold my interest.

Watched a NOS 50th chainset go for £500 on ebay! But thats ebay for you...full of shill-bidders to hike the price.

500 for chainset only! disgraceful but people must pay these daft monies. There's a lot of 50th out there but some of it just seems to be massively overpriced as it's used and in a lot of cases pretty bloody shabby.

Interesting that an entire bike is "possible" for 700 - that's not a bad shout in terms of value for money assuming the re-sale of the frame makes it worthwhile. The hubs seem to be the most scarce part but i'd be happy with all the other parts as the core part of a build. Got a rear mech for £40 odd as the BIN of £150 just didn't get close, thing is it's started the next wishlist which is a full groupset. What have I got myself into? I'm thinking £600 "might" just get me everything expcept the hubs? Oh and a frame etc etc. Best crack on with some overtime :facepalm:

Bloody hell Ian - that's way too much overtime - not sure I should of bought that rear mech - can of worms is an understatement...

FINNEY1973":204ro88x said:
not sure I should of bought that rear mech - can of worms is an understatement...
My mate said exactly the same a while back! He got a pair of 50th hubs at a jumble and then a 50th rear mech' at another jumble
then spotted a 50th front mech' then a year later a pair of 50th brakes! he then stopped as he had spent £300. :facepalm:

Ian Raleigh":17t3jzrs said:
FINNEY1973":17t3jzrs said:
not sure I should of bought that rear mech - can of worms is an understatement...
My mate said exactly the same a while back! He got a pair of 50th hubs at a jumble and then a 50th rear mech' at another jumble
then spotted a 50th front mech' then a year later a pair of 50th brakes! he then stopped as he had spent £300. :facepalm:

I'm feeling that, I spent £300+ putting a DA 7700 groupset together, this could be a whole lot worse!! but I need to own one I think - I did think of getting an 80th groupset until they released the price and it's bloody ugly and it's not a full group - no hubs! this way I get the groupset but it's a financial cliff I don't fancy jumping off - I think it's a case of as and when - the rear mech is going in a box with all the other impulse purchases :facepalm:

Interesting. In real terms, has the 50th gruppo appreciated in value? Is a used 50th gruppo more than when it came out new?

Personally I'm not into this anniversary stuff at all, and I don't even think it's attractive - gold just doesn't do it for me.

Woz":1z0gg8ik said:
Interesting. In real terms, has the 50th gruppo appreciated in value? Is a used 50th gruppo more than when it came out new?
I do believe the 50th set was £395 when it came out!! the only price worthy Campag gold groupset is the ICS set, I'm sure you'd like it.
ICS_Cat_2.jpg

Back on the quest or just the down right stupid....lol
Theres always the one that is that bit cheaper and in better condition you know!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMPAGNOLO-50 ... 27d4508f0f

You could always sell on the 50th stuff you already have :LOL:

Or buy a NOS set at the region of £3,500 :|

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back