Aldi bike tool kit... any good?

To get you going it's great, probably the tools won't last forever but for infrequent usage will be sufficient. How often do you expect to swap out bottom brackets anyway?

hamster":3iw966my said:
To get you going it's great, probably the tools won't last forever but for infrequent usage will be sufficient. How often do you expect to swap out bottom brackets anyway?

Well, not very often, but they're not disposable tools so that shouldn't matter.

It's going to be used on this Kona restoration I'm about to start on, and maybe a future build or two.

I am a beginner, so these should suffice.

Thanks!

Hi rich,
It's probably not bad for £20.

The one tool you will need, not in that kit, will save hours of swearing.. Is proper cable cutters. The DIY electrical cable cutters you may have at home.. Just don't work very well.

Agree whole heartedly with that Dablk, best £30 I ever spent was on a proper set of Park Tool cable cutters - just awesome :).

I've never had a problem cutting stainless steel brake cables with my electrical side cutters (they are professional ones though)...

The only concern I'd have on that tool kit is the length of the handle on the combined BB tool/chainwhip...

Aside from what Chopper already said about the chainsplitter made of cheese :)

I use a set of Teng side cutters for cables, perfect. I'm not especially impressed with Park gear, and some of the prices they charge for tools that are identical to other brands (except for the 'Park' screen printing) is a bit rich, and the quality of a lot of it isn't all that.

Back