Tower cycles

VassagoJay

Dirt Disciple
I purchased this frame last year on ebay with the intention of building up a singlespeed commuter. The frame is pretty scruffy and really needs a respray but I've no idea if it's worth restoring or not.
I've done a bit of research on the net and it seems Tower Cycles was a bike shop run by a guy named Alan Richards. I've looked at loads of pictures on google and found a similar frame but with the name Major Nicholls on it.

Does anyone have any info on either of these guys? and is it worth me restoring it ?

lightbox

As far as I know Alan Richards bought in some of the frames he sold at Tower Cycles. There were a lot of quality builders in the Birmingham area at that time, but there's a good possibility Major Nicholls was building frames for him. If that's the case then its definitely worth restoring, Major was renown as one of the best if not the best builder in Birmingham. If you've not already seen it there's lots of info about Major and the cycle shops of Birmingham in this link:

http://www.blackcountrysociety.co.uk/ar ... cholls.htm

One thing that is never very clear is what frame number Major used for other shops. It would be worth looking at yours, hopefully it begins MN :)

VassagoJay":q50y1c6k said:
Thanks for the reply.
The 3rd picture down looks very much like my frame but with different decals

Is there a frame number under the bottom bracket?

I've also got a Richards/Tower Cycles. Its a light well made frame. I'm sure there is another thread or two on this forum on the bikes. I also vaguely remember MN being ruled out as the frame builder.

Back