Shimano Positron Adaptation

Pogo

Retrobike Rider
Does anyone have a clue on how I'd get a Shimano Positron lever (5spd) to work with a 6 speed uniglide cassette and a Sachs-Huret derailleur?

Are all my efforts in vain?

I'll find out in the morning but an early warning or a hint would be appreciated.

I don't think it is possible to get any form of indexing working the way you describe and I am pretty sure from memory that positron levers had no friction mode either as they used a solid wire rather than a cable.

Thanks Kermit- your memory serves you well. The indexing comes from the derailleur but The Positron lever is all I want to keep, I've attached a conventional cable to the shifter,
So all I want it to do is friction shift.

The problem I'm anticipating is that the Positron lever might not have enough pull to move the mech through the 6 speed uniglide cassette.

If that was the case I might have to cut the plastic on the shifter to get more pull.

What I ideally need is some info on how much cable a Sachs rear dérailleur would need to pull through a six speed uniglide cassette.

You can get around an extra 5mm of overall pull by clamping the cable on the ther side of the derailleur clamp bolt.
This would screw up any indexing, but if you're happy with friction, their might help...

All the best,

Good to know Dan thanks.

Unfortunately on installation my nipple pulled off this morning, so I'm somewhat delayed, ho hum.

Back