cleaning oil and grease off an old bike safely...

converse320

Devout Dirtbag
I have picked up my latest acquisition, and found that the whole bike is covered in a thin spread of ancient congealed grease. Can anyone offer recommendations for cleaning it without damaging the transfers? They are all in pretty good condition for a 55 year old bike. Someone clearly spent a lot of time carefully greasing it before putting it away.

The attachment shows what I mean

Attachments

• reynolds2.jpg
    reynolds2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 455
Remove the rear cable clamp first, clean the clamp up to like 'new' then re-install it back on the bike [after the frame is cleaned]

I'd suggest using a soft cotton wet/damp cloth first by rubbing off the thick stuff
then use baby tooth brush and washing up liquid, don't go mad with the scrubbing.

Many old Reynolds transfers where water-slide transfers, some frame makers lacquered over them, some didn't - so be careful.

The general rule is to start with the least abrasive, or corrosive, products first and move up slowly. So I would just use some Simple Green and water with a cotton rag. Use extra care with the transfers because they may be quite brittle. I was moving my '77 Colnago on a hot day and removed a couple of the letters from the seat decal with just my sweaty hand..you should have heard me swear...oh well...

I've used WD40 on some ancient paintwork without a problem. The toothbrush is your biggest friend :LOL:

Robbied196":1byi7i2x said:
I've used WD40 on some ancient paintwork without a problem. The toothbrush is your biggest friend :LOL:
Well, if its survived the grease I would have thought it would survive something like WD40, but its the only bike I've ever found that is in this sort of condition, so Im being very cautious.

It's got all its original decals, some of which would be very sad to lose. The WD40 worked a treat on the lugs and bottom bracket. No paint loss, all the lug lining now revealed. Pale blue lining on Bronze metallic.

Back