Specialized full sus old skool

FSR

The earlier, more tradional looking ground controls were up to 95, the ones with the horst link.
The one above with the shock straight from rear triangle to the frame, at top of seat tube was only in 96 if I recall correctly as from 97 it went to the more modern looking FSR, I dont recall the correct term, but the one with the beefy backbone and the disconnected seat tube. More like a downhiller than the traditional stumpy.

But in the words of Frank Zappa
'I may be totally wrong cause I'm a fool' :roll:

mattbrown":14lkhqkf said:
Thats the one, the one i saw, was white with yellow springs

Yeah I know that white one with the yellow spring in the rear shock, seen them here in Holland quite a lot too BITD...

From my 1996 Specialized Bikes catalogue:

Ground Control A1, Ground Control AIM full suspension, Rock Shox Q21R, Shimano LX componentry with SRT 600 shifters. Color was white/black, actually the main frame is white with silver decals, rear triangle is black with a yellow spring and also the Q21R is a yellow one.

And indeed, the second to lowest spec model ;-)

the one in the picture (same as mine) was the 96 version , then went to the same design as the fsr for 97

seen them in yellow/red , black/silver , blue/yellow , white/black

minw was all red , till it got a black rear end

Red yellow one ....

GC01.jpg

:)

Pickle":1c8rglcs said:
Just borrowing Mr K's FSR, but this (IIRC) is their oldest FSR design.....

yes and no ;)

Mr. K's [nice build] is a 95, at least four years after the FSR was designed.

The first FSRs were designed in 1991 by Mark DiNucci using the Horst patent, and were essentially Stumpjumpers with the rear ends hacked off, and FSR rear ends bolted on. One linkage bolt about a inch above the BB shell and one about three inches down from the top of the seat tube. As shown in the 93 S-works Catalog:

93FSR.jpg

R&D of this design proved disastrous, and in 93 they recalled the entire initial S-works initial run when they broke. They eventually figured out moving the linkage upwards to eliminate the problem:

94FSR.jpg

Keep going...

94SpecFSR_sworks.jpg

There!

The 96 Ground Control FSR was essentially the same linkage design with the shock moved closer to the seattube on the linkage. I think in 97 there was a model that eliminated the linkage all together and bolted the shock directly to the seatube :? [seen in previous posts, but this was a lower end model. The flagship FS bike was the Ground Control AIM, which began the dark years of Specialized FS bikes [IMO]. Anyone actively riding these should be ridiculed on this forum immediately:

Vomit:

thumb2_2.jpg

Puke:

thumb2.jpg

Barf.

98_specialized_fsr.jpg

Nice bio ameybrook, but harsh on the ground control. Nearly bought one of these at the time but plumped for the stumpie(fsr) instead.

ameybrook, you have a way with words!!

Please never stop writing on this forum! :cool:

Barf, Puke and Vomit have never been as amusing as when followed by the pictures of hideous bikes!

Cheers mate you make me smile! :D

Back