Hello! (and an unknown frame question...) :)

The bolt arrangement does indeed look nasty, Ted. I will dream up something more confidence inspiring. It's one of the features which possibly nails it as a cheap copy of something else. Mind you, despite the dodgy-looking arrangement, the reality isn't quite as bad - it's a pair of pressed-in cartridge bearings with a compression-tube in the middle.

PC

If anyone's interested, I took the swingarm off the mysterious suspension frame earlier, just to inspect the pivot...

IMAG1250.jpg

IMAG1249.jpg

As mentioned above, the pivot bolt (mild steel, no tensile markings :roll: ) had been badgered up properly tight. It appears that that was so tight that it's defomed and knackered the bearing races. Neither bearing turns without a lot of effort, and they're rough when they do.

Still unsure why bike manufacturers like using ZZ for these. I've ordered a pair of 6200-2RS to replace them with, along with an M10 stainless capbolt, washers and nyloc.

PC

Quick update on my retrobike, and the new/old/retro/not frame thing.

I pressed the original, knackered-at-the-factory ZZ bearings out, and replaced with 2RS ones:

IMAG1283.jpg

...and got it built up:

IMAG1301.jpg

Apologies, as there's little in the way of retro content apart from the frame, rear mech, Dia Compe v-brake and the MX Pro coils. Still, it rides acceptably as tested round the local woods yesterday. Needs a much higher rate rear spring; 650lb/" must be designed for someone without my lardy proportions. I did try a longer Fox Float R, but the BB height became amusingly high, rather like riding a horse. ;)

On the Exage road-width, bend-the-frame, knackered-races dilemma, I thought it was about time I had a go at wheel building:

IMAG1317.jpg

This is onto one of CRC's £9 LX parallax hubs (non-disc, but right width!), using my existing spokes (same flange diameters, +/- 1mm) and my 217SUP sunset.

(Edit: I also made the mistake of wiping the rim down with acetone, which cleaned it up lovely, but also stripped some of the lettering from the Mavic decals. Can you get or get made, replacements?)

IMAG1319.jpg

Trued it in the frame, with assistance from strips of tape and zip ties, plus the brakes. Flipping the wheel to check dish.

IMAG1320.jpg

All sorted and ridden to work for the first time ever in the rain on Friday. Sadly, the Icon extra-sawn-off lightweight bars might have suited me back in 1996 but they don't any longer. Crippling neck pain and numb fingers! I've had to source a wider bar for it. Gripshifts will be going back on when I can source new rubbers for them - anyone know where they can be found for 90s models?

IMAG1292.jpg

(XTR Rapid-rise was a recent Ebay, and I'm learning to love it. Despite the mech itself being bent, and the seller taking a *very* careful photo to hide it. :roll: )

:)

PC

velomaniac":19hwpgfo said:
I was watching those URT frames on ebay, no idea what they are either but they are interesting. Someone wil tell you URT are crap eventually on this site but I wonder how much of this perceived fact is based on actual experience of riding them. Personally I love them having had Treks, Saracens and Giants. They dont ride like a non URT but that does not make them crap. Have fun experimenting.
It's a Trax from the early to mid Noughties, sold through Halfords for a penny under £90. No one in the history or the world ever bought one for its fine riding qualities.

They aren't very nice for much the same reason car manufacturers don't mount the drivers seat directly on a live rear axle.

Surfing around it would seem they werent exlusive to 'frauds like Carrera are. My daughter still has her Trax, same frame though painted black with a yellow swing arm. Been cluttering up my mums garage since she joined the RAF almost 7 years back now, and I think she bought it from her Mum's home shopping catalogue.

Hah, well that puts me in my place with its pedigree... :)

Still, I'm happy enough with a cheap build around it, especially after paying £25 for the NOS frame.

I suspect it's still more capable than I am.

Any thoughts, anyone, on replacement gripshift grips for 90s SRTs, or indeed Mavic rim decals?

PC

Hehe, thanks for Gil's contact details...

The 217s are staying on my retrobike, especially as I remember handing over my hard earned pennies for them during VIth form. :)

The cheap frame everyone seems to hate has a similarly cheap wheelset on it! ;)

Pc

Back